Prep for snow load on roof? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Unfortunately we have no indoor storage for our new (old) bigfoot Swanky this winter.
Thought I saw a thread about supporting a trailer roof in case of heavy snowfall. We will not even be able to check on the trailer all winter ( in another province) so there is some concern.
All and any help, advice very welcome with much thanks.
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
your question puzzles me but maybe snow level in canada is less than I mentaly picture?? have lived as high (geographically ) as near the OR border but most my life has been down southern US. That and maybe I dont get the strength of an egg compared to others in snow load environment. I did have a stick trailer collapse from snow load in northern CA.

It just that.... if you got no way to protect it from snow load but want to keep it sounds like your saying... I got a dog known to attack children in our family neighborhood, and won't be getting a fence or chain... what should I do? welllll duhhhhh... get rid of the dog.

So fellow egg Canadians... is it a must to have a snow load structure over the egg? Is it a crap shoot if you don't or a gaurnteed problem Like Im picturing it?

Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
George, it's a genuine concern. We've seen pictures of trailers with snow clear up and covering the roof vent. We're talking feet here... not inches.

Donna, we've seen (prehack) pictures where someone had used 2x4s inside to support the roof. Think of a capital "I" and wedged between the roof and the floor. Others have over turned a bucket over the roof vent and laid a tarp over the top. The bucket provides an "A-frame" of sorts and snow slides off. The downside is if you get too much snow it can slide off and pile up against the side of the trailer.

Others will chime in
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Donna,

Here in BC we don't get snow as deep as Halifax snow but near the coast we have had 3 feet on the ground of wet heavy snow in a 48 hour period. I would think since Bigfoot's are made in BC they should be designed to handle our Canadian snow loads. Maybe a call to Bigfoot would clarify this. I certainly don't worry about our Trillium as it's spent 36 years in snow between Manitoba and BC and it's still kicking =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here in Minneapolis I don't worry about it too much. If the fancy strikes me (and the driveway has been shoveled) I might go out to the backyard and clear some of the snow from the Scamp.

Other than winterizing the plumbing, I don't worry about what to do with the Scamp during the winter.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks all for your comments.
We have left the Trillium out all winter- BUT in our back yard so we could monitor any heavy snow problems and that was great. The Bigfoot will stay in PEI.... a province away from our home and we will not be able to to help the poor thing out in this oft time snowier place.
So Donna, the idea about the 2x4 support was what I kinda remembered seeing a long time ago, and the other idea of bucket/a frame profile is a good thought as well.
Maybe I worry too much- but the snow out east can be so very wet and heavy... and the roof area is so wide and flat.....and we haven't even taken Swanky out on a real trip yet.
Hate to let something preventable happen to this tip top trailer!!!
Thanks again all..even the southern doubters...and I will call Bigfoot too
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I seem to remember snow loads being discussed with older Bolers being of concern. I thought that the Bigfoot was a more robust design.

I turned up a couple of items that may be pertinent:

"Sidewall Collapse"

"Winter Storage"
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #8

I see nothing wrong with an ounce of prevention. If for no other reason to keep from worrying... the ole shudda, wouldda, couldda. syndrome. If doing something about it now, keeps the trailer from possible harm, why not do it?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks Frederick.
Interesting reading and more things to consider. Even some new worries I had not yet thought about on my own (haha) Knowledge is power.
How we love our darling trailers and want the very best for them!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #10

Found this over at Bolerama, it's about a Trillium:
Quote:
salvaged from a trailer that had a [b]roof fall in from snow load door has a crack in it that can be fixed . I have pictures send me your email if you are interested $100.00 plus shipping.

Located in Winnipeg

clbrough [[at] ] mts.net for pictures
So, it does happen.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Bigfoot
Hello Donna,

I have a 19' Bigfoot with a partiality collapsed roof. As I have just purchased the trailer I can't be certain that it was a snow load that did the damage, but all the evidence points to it.

My 2 cents
Ken Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks for the info Ken.
We will definitely prop up the ceiling after that bit of news and just be glad we did ......even if there isn't a flake of snow all winter. Will only take a short time to do and provide some peace of mind.
I know "stuff happens" but always like to improve the odds.
Thanks all for the feed back.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I place a 2X6 on the floor so it will span the frame under the camper.
I then put a 2X4 up-right from the floor to another 2X6 on the ceiling.
Last year we had over 13 ft of snow in Maine but I did move the snow off the top once.
Some of you remember this picture of my Boler in the back yard.
I assure you that is my camper under that pile of snow. I had to keep the grandkids from sledding down it.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_Gone.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #14

Registry
Very interesting Gerry.....thanks...........you've inspired us to action
Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I found (last winter) when I had to leave our Trillium outdoors (without the shelter) that the snow did NOT accumulate when I left a small (cube) heater on (running) inside the trailer. Yes it consumed energy (but was still FAR cheaper than building another garage!), but I had no snow build up to speak of and what snow DID accumulate (in storms) melted off rather nicely.

This ALSO tells me what little insulation rating value there is/are in these little things, but then again we/I are NOT living in these things year round (are we??) LOL!

IF you have a trailer and want to preserve it, what/where does the cost factor come in??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote