Prepping inside fiberglass for painting - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Cool

I have tried the search method to no avail. Our poor little Corneleus is in need of some serious TLC. I am home now and for my project hours I would like to get all the inside bits we took out last fall sanded, primed and painted.

Are there any resources I am missing. I did a search here on all the forums and could not find results on how to sand or how far to sand to. what to prime and paint with I have found a few things on. Although recommendations for those are always welcome

Cheers

Ursula

Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
DON'T SAND!!

Just 'scuff' the area(s) with a scuff pad (ALWAYS wear a mask) just enought to give the primer/paint a little 'something' to cling onto. Take extra time to wipe these areas down with a 'tac cloth', a rag dampened with a good cleanser/dergreaser. This will also take most all of that scuffing dust off the places to be painted...

Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #3

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ursula,

Are your interior units currently the original gelcoat or have they been painted?

If they are gelcoat, I would suggest first de-waxing with something such as Interlux 202 (the instructions will be on the can; it's very important to use plenty of clean towels so that a used section of towel does not re-swipe the gelcoat). This step should be done before sanding so that you don't just sand the contamination in (I know it seems weird, but the mold-release wax will easily last 30+ years - that's what you are removing).

Once you have the surfaces de-waxed, then I would sand with whatever grit your chosen primer calls for. Something in the 120-220 range would be typical, but its best to follow the paint/primer manufacturer's instructions. This is also the time to fill any imperfections. Also, I would not count on the primer hiding any flaws; in other words, get the surface as perfect as you want it, by filling and sanding, before you start painting.

Raya
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #4

Our cabinets have been previously painted on the outside. So I will take the time to get that off. Should I be painting the insides too or just leave them as is???

Hoping to start this process on Monday as it is a holiday here and my hubby will be around during the day to help me out

The other question I had was what to prime and paint with that is relatively non-toxic (we have kids) but can withstand the deep freeze of our extremely cold winters and some what heat of summers.

I really don't want to be doing this again for at least 5-10years

for the advice everyone, I am really eager to get started
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Registry
IMHO.... you're probably wasting your time n energy not to mention MORE of a mess trying to get the old paint off. This does depend on what coloUr you're looking to paint over, darker or lighter than what you would like the inside coloUr to be.

Rule of thumb (yours n mine...) unless the old paint is cracked/chipped or peeling LEAVE it alone and just scuff it like the other parts. If its cracked/peeling, all you really need to do is make sure to get the exposed areas as smooth and even with the undamaged painted area as possible, THIS might need sanding.

I don't have my 'list of goodies' here beside mr right now, ( its in the trailer in our R/V compound) I can get at it twomorrow (LOL) and check what kinda primer we/I used on the walls.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Registry
I found my 'list' of paints used in the Trillium but I don't see anything to do with a primer, so I'm going to have to go check my 'stockroom' (leftover paints) to see what (if any) primer we used inside the trailer.

Thus far, the (faberic covered) walls and ceiling were done in Cloverdales Super Egg Shell (weird name, LOL!!) base white (water based). The actual glass parts were covered with Interlux Premium Yacht Enamal (High gloss Topside finish).....!!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #7

Thanks Doug that really helps.
I know your winters aren't as ours out here in Alberta but has your paint held up well to the differing temperatures??

you are right in not wanting to waste my time. I am going to try scuffing with minimal sanding for evening out things. Then priming and painting.

I guess I should go get packed for camping tomorrow

Have a great long weekend everyone

Tags
paint, painting