prepping the exterior for paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
prepping the exterior for paint

:o
Hello everyone,
I have just become the owner of a rough 73 Boler. The price was right but it will definitely be a project. Last weekend the trailer was gutted and lifted off of the frame. The frame is being reinforced, sandblasted and painted. Now I turn my attention to the exterior. The shell is in good shape with a lousy old paint job. I am about to start prepping the exterior for paint but am confused on what product to use to fill the spider crack, chips and old screw holes. I have heard of using gel coat repair kits, bondo, and putty. Does anyone have experience with these or anything other product.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:17 PM   #2

I tried a search (use upper right hand button) for bondo. got 5 post. I would recommend reading those, at least, before you start. one example:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php...TID=2065&page=3

A search for spider cracks might work, too, or there might be more post then you can count. we talk about these babies all the time.

Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mark C

:o
Hello everyone,
I have just become the owner of a rough 73 Boler. The price was right but it will definitely be a project. Last weekend the trailer was gutted and lifted off of the frame. The frame is being reinforced, sandblasted and painted. Now I turn my attention to the exterior. The shell is in good shape with a lousy old paint job. I am about to start prepping the exterior for paint but am confused on what product to use to fill the spider crack, chips and old screw holes. I have heard of using gel coat repair kits, bondo, and putty. Does anyone have experience with these or anything other product.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Hi Mark
I am in same situation you are,I look forward to the challenge.:wave

Old 06-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #4

I used Marine Tex to fill screw holes and big dings. It is a two part system you mix and use kind of like epoxy. It seems incredibly strong. I am happy with it, but I keep finding places I missed. You have to mix it fresh each time and throw away the extra. If you decide to use it buy twice as many packages as you think you need. You don't have to mix it all at once but then you need to figure mixing ratios. Of course the other possibility is to just get all the holes the first time.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #5

Thanks Maggie,

I picked up some Marine Tex epoxy putty and spent part of the weekend grinding out cracks and chips with a dremel. Once the weather cheers up I will let everyone know how it went.

Tags
paint, painting