Prices of LP gas in the Denver area. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Prices of LP gas in the Denver area.

We have moved!
We are making progress in unpacking hundreds of boxes and settling in our new home in Golden, CO, and it is time to think about the feeding of the Scamp as well. I would like to pose a question to the Denver area members - where are the best places to re-fill or buy the LP gas tanks (20 lbs.), and what kind of a price should I be prepared to pay? A few years ago I paid about $20 for a trade-in, but I am looking for something much lower. Thank you in advance.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Costco usually fills propane bottles, not sure about the Denver area.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I would never go with a trade in tank for my trailer. You can't top off a trade in tank but you can top off a tank that you own.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
...You can't top off a trade in tank but you can top off a tank that you own.
Why not? You do own the replacement tank after you swap.

Not that I think the tank swap is a good deal, but I did it once for convenience, and I have had the tank refilled conventionally several times since.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
We have only had swap tanks on our bbq at home. Somw places in the lower mainland B.C. won't fill swap tanks.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Prices of LP gas in the Denver area.

How would they know the difference? Down here the only thing marking them as swap tanks is a plastic advertising sleeve, easily removed. There's nothing different about the tank itself. I traded in a tank I owned, so I consider the replacement tank mine to use as I see fit. Nothing in the transaction or on the tank indicates otherwise... Did I miss something?

Of course, different country, different rules. But you have piqued my curiosity.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can I ask why you guys go for a "swap" instead of a MUCH-cheaper fill? I just had some propane put in my tank at Tractor Supply Company- ala TSC- here in Tennessee for $2.79 a gallon. My 20 lb tank will hold a MAXIMUM 4.6 gallons and they will only charge you for what they put in. So the max my tank refill can cost me is $12.83; and this is to my still new-looking tank that came on my Scamp.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
I'm with you on that, Darral. It was a one-time situation for convenience' sake, and the tank on the Scamp was looking the worse for wear, so I had no particular attachment to it.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with you as well Jon in YOUR situation. When mine starts looking "skaggy", I'll trade it in...even if it costs a little more. I just saw where Home Depot does a $20 trade-in on a 20lb tank. (I think was the OP's original question)? That's not a bad price actually- about $7 for another nicer-looking tank over a refill. I just dont see doing it every time. Plus, MOST of the time, my fill-up will come in under $10 because I dont let it run out.

Whilst we're on the subject of propane, I just did an interesting experiment (to me anyway ). I went to a model airplane event in Ky. A couple of weeks ago with my Scamp. It's a field of corn but this club leases a good portion for their flying field. Some of our local guys and myself stayed at the field in our RVs. I could run my Champion gen at night with NO complaints...others ran as well. So, we're off the "grid" sorta- (gen off the grid?) Anyway, I weighed my tank BEFORE I left then AFTER I returned. I ran my water heater and 3-way 1.9 fridge during the day on gas- apx 15 hours each day for 4 days- no generator. I have a "HottRod" in my wh so at night on the gen, I switched over to 120v for the wh and fridge. I used exactly 1/2 gal of propane....out of 4.4 to 4.6. I didnt think that was too bad.

For what it's worth, running the gen at night - powering a small wall heater, wh, fridge, converter, water pumps etc. for 4 nights, I used about 9 gal of gasoline. So $23 in gas was ALOT cheaper than the hotel alot of the guys paid for in the nearest town- Henderson, KY. We were actually in Robards, KY. "Yes Virginia, there IS a place for generators."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm with you on that, Darral. It was a one-time situation for convenience' sake, and the tank on the Scamp was looking the worse for wear, so I had no particular attachment to it.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The clincher here in Eastern Iowa is that the swap tanks have an enticing price .... BUT are NOT FULL.
Much better to go to a place that fills them.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Bought my 2015 Casita back in March of this year. Didn't bother to look under the propane cover. After a few weeks, finally took it off and found that the previous owner has traded in one of the 20# tanks for a 15#. Now have two sizes.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Paul O.;662012]We have moved!
We are making progress in unpacking hundreds of boxes and settling in our new home in Golden, CO, and it is time to think about the feeding of the Scamp as well. I would like to pose a question to the Denver area members - where are the best places to re-fill or buy the LP gas tanks (20 lbs.), and what kind of a price should I be prepared to pay? A few years ago I paid about $20 for a trade-in, but I am looking for something much lower. Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE[

I generally pay somewhere south of $3.00 per gallon. In that last couple of years I've paid as low as $1.99 per gallon. Always look for a place that pumps and sells by the gallon.

I've never looked in CO, but found places in TX, CA, NV, AZ, and LA that sell by the gallon. The worst was the store at Rio Grand Village, Big Bend NP at $18 flat rate.

I did run into a place in AZ that wanted $9.50 per gallon. I didn't buy.

I had as little as 1 gallon pumped in to as much as 4.5 gallons. All priced per gallon.

A quick Google search turned up sever places try "propane tank metered refill golden co" Remember Google is our friend.

FYI U-Haul has meter for $3.29 per gallon. Max for a 20# tank is 4.8 gallons 4.8*3.29= $15.72. If you look around a bit you can probably find it cheaper.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I'm thinking I will trade out both my tanks as they empty this time. They have the old style tops, and I'm replacing the regulator and the fittings, line, and connections in the camper as I rebuild. Will likely take off the plastic from the trade in tanks, and then refill the newer ones. I trade out the grill ones, because I usually need that in a hurry and the trade place is a block away at the gas station.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I'm thinking I will trade out both my tanks as they empty this time. They have the old style tops, and I'm replacing the regulator and the fittings, line, and connections in the camper as I rebuild. Will likely take off the plastic from the trade in tanks, and then refill the newer ones. I trade out the grill ones, because I usually need that in a hurry and the trade place is a block away at the gas station.
You might find that the trade in place might not take the old style tanks. They've gotten more picky in the last few years. Of course they might if the person doesn't know what they are doing at the trade in place. Just be aware that the tank will probably not be full. I've also seen where the tanks are rusty under new paint. Your safety is not in their best of interest. The Golden or Denver area should have a lot of propane available by the gallon. Just make sure they don't have a minimum of filling fee.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
A quick Google search turned up sever places try "propane tank metered refill golden co" Remember Google is our friend.

I think I'll take your suggestion and do some Google searching tomorrow morning.
Thanks.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #16

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I actually have two nice ones that I use with the grill, one on the grill and a spare that I use on the camp burners for pancakes on two griddles. I make pancakes for the 20+ people at the family reunion every morning for a week, so having the tanks around I can pick the best to keep.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #17

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I would also check the date stamped on the tank. They expire in x number of years but they can be approved and updated by the Propane suppliers.
Jerryteits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
fill tanks

i take mine to a farm supply store the fill them correctly and you get more at a substantial savings!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
We used to swap our BBQ, but after getting the RV we are looking to save money wherever we can
So getting the tanks filled is much cheaper. Once you start looking for propane you will start to see it everywhere. Cheapest was just under 2.00 most expensive was just over $4.00. Typically it's 2.9-3.5 Gallon equvilent to full. That's with a warm fill. I don't know if ambient temps matter like it does with CNG.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cost of propane

the savings doesn't merit a long trip for a refill! Just close you eyes and pay up!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp