Priming a Coleman Rocket Pump - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 5
We've just picked up our 73 Trillium, and we're cleaning her up for our first outing and I can't seem to figure out our old Coleman Rocket hand pump. I feel kind of dumb for asking - but do I have to prime the old beast? It doesn't seem to be drawing water from the tank - if she needs priming what the best way to do it?
__________________

__________________
amanda r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be drawing water from the tank - if she needs priming what the best way to do it?
The easiest way would be to use a fingertip to cover the spout opening while pumping the handle to create a siphon suction.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Member
 
Mike and Sarah K's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 13 ft
New Brunswick
Posts: 65
Registry
Quote:
The easiest way would be to use a fingertip to cover the spout opening while pumping the handle to create a siphon suction.

I have a 78 Trill and recently I had the same problem. I would have to suck the end of the tap to get it started, then it would only be good for a short bit before back draining to the tank. The coleman rocker pumps have a metal ball check valve in the bottom of the pump. When I removed the pump last week, the metal ball just fell out becuase it rusted and wore down in diameter.

I replaced it with a nice solid metal rocker pump with a glass marble inside from the local RV shop for $40 and its the bomb
__________________
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 5
Quote:
I have a 78 Trill and recently I had the same problem. I would have to suck the end of the tap to get it started, then it would only be good for a short bit before back draining to the tank. The coleman rocker pumps have a metal ball check valve in the bottom of the pump. When I removed the pump last week, the metal ball just fell out becuase it rusted and wore down in diameter.

I replaced it with a nice solid metal rocker pump with a glass marble inside from the local RV shop for $40 and its the bomb
We have water! Thanks for your help, the ol' sucking trick worked.
__________________
amanda r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand Pump Faucet Priming and Holding Prime? Kevin Poll Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-13-2010 08:37 AM
New Coleman grill shane n General Chat 5 10-07-2009 09:56 AM
old Coleman Hand Rocker Pump Peggy Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 08-28-2009 10:05 PM
coleman battery fan Christi V. General Chat 1 08-23-2008 07:25 AM
New Coleman Polar Cub AC Kevin A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-24-2007 07:40 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.