Pro cushion covering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My egg looks like a bomb went off inside! I have all the cubbies open, evrything stretched out on the counters, fans going, heaters going and cushions propped up sideways to get the last bits of dampness off them.

I faired well in my leak damage actually, only the two plywood cubby covers I made awhile back were trashed, and ugly black dry rot on a couple of my nice maple cubby cover edges. No biggy, they are not seen anyway. The cubbies themselves collected more water as it dripped right down, past the cubby covers and puddled below.

I am throwing out the fabric covers I made for my cushions. All they did was hold in dampness and collect dog hair (Tho this material was easy to just wipe the hair off, it still looked bad)

I am considering going back to my original idea of vinyl covering to keeps the dog hair to a minimum AND to protect the foam from wetness.

Who has hauled thier cushions to a pro coverer and what should I expect to pay. In the ball park, I know as it depends on the covering I choose.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
Hi,

If you are thinking about going to a furniture reupholstery shop to check on prices you might also want to check out places that do auto upholstery. Terry uses a guy locally who has done various things other than just auto seats because he was more reasonable than the local furniture outfit. I am going to brave it and cover the seats in our small dinette area myself, with a wonderful fabric that I just found at Walmart - it looks and feels like tooled leather. I have no idea how it will work but since it has sort of a vinyl surface (matt and soft not shiny and slick) on top and is fabric backed I rather imagine it will work like suede cloth but with more body. I'm going with the "ranch look" in our Casita so even if these turn out looking fairly rustic I think it will work.

Sorry to hear you had a leak - but glad it wasn't worse than it was. Good luck on the cushions.

Roberta
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Gina,

A local seamstress shop here is going to charge me $30 per hour and it will probably take 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per cushion (including zippers and piping, not including the fabric). If you find a shop that has been in business a while, cushion covers should be a snap. I think $30 is about average, if anything maybe a bit above average, but they are good. Good luck.

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote