Problem No. 2 from shake down weekend - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
The kitchen! The whole fibreglass cupboard unit is downhill to the rear, and downhill to the left. We could see it with the naked eye, but didn't realize how bad it was, till our first breakfast, when the scrambled egg mixture almost flowed out the back of the frying pan! Really!
It also causes about a half cup of water to sit in the left rear of the sink, before it is deep enough to start to drain. A nuisance when you throw stuff in there to get it off the counter, eg. the cheese!
I can see where the countertop was previously screwed through the outside wall, about a half inch higher on the left end -the old holes are still there. Also, when we came home, there is a fine crack in the fibreglass, outside, beneath this same area, that we hadn't noticed before the end of our trip. We are now wondering if the whole thing was a bit wonky, but now that the frame has been fixed, raised, and presumably squared up again, if there are some new stress points, and if that frame welding changed some angles and exaggerated this downhill countertop. Just guessing, and looking forward to your hypotheses! And solutions! Enough for tonight...Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Hmmm... a really BAD road with a bad axle can crack the frame, crack fiberglass, and stress the frame. Rotted flooring at frame and body attachment points can also cause problems. You'll really need to crawl underneath the trailer to see what's going on.

Roger

Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Has the cabinet support (ala twisted iron rod) been removed between the upper and lower cabinets? Almost sounds like the roof is lowering (and it can) and the sides of the trailer are starting to bulge out. Think a balloon that you're pressing down on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #4

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
not trying to insult anyones intelligence.. but did you have it good and level? The only reason I mention this is because I know from the 78 Scamp that has a window A/C in a side window, that if I am not perfectly leveled, the A/C drains INSIDE... it seems on these little trailers that even a tad bit off makes a huge difference...
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #5

No, insult taken, Jaye, and yes, it was level. The whole cupboard unit looks wonky with the countertop sloped to the left. And yes, Donna, I think there might be something to your theory of bulging ballon. That's scary, we have been doing so much work on this thing, and I thought I was at the sorting-the-tupperware-for-the-cupboard stage, not rethinking the frame and egg! Did we buy the wrong egg? I'm gonna try to post photos..
Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #6

I'll post some pictures of the outside mounting of the cupboard, and why we can see that something has been moved. We wonder if the cupboard was reattached when the frame was broken,and now that our welder friend has squared everything up again, maybe has stressed the outside hull. Yikes.
Attached Thumbnails
cracks.jpg   craack4.jpg  

cracks2.jpg   cracks3.jpg  

Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
I'll post some pictures of the outside mounting of the cupboard, and why we can see that something has been moved. We wonder if the cupboard was reattached when the frame was broken,and now that our welder friend has squared everything up again, maybe has stressed the outside hull. Yikes.
Hi Peggy ! Here's something to ponder...We had a 17ft Bigfoot TT and had roof issues. It sagged really badly....due to the previous owners not removing all of our Alberta heavy snow year after year....Do you have any sag in your roof ??? Ours looked like uneven pavement..I know I have a picture somewhere..I posted some questions here and on another site and got a response from a gent who had sagging inside cupboards due to snow on his roof too and ended up lifting the roof and reframing the inside wooden frame and fiberglassing...He realined the cupboards and said you couldn't tell that anything had been done. I have the step by step instructions...Anyway, I don't know much about your brand of trailer but it sounds like a metal frame... it sounds like it could have definitely caused the stress on the outside hull. I've seen what it did to a wooden frame Water started coming in from everywhere. Check your windows and your floor too. Is your door wonky ?? We worked like dogs for about 11 entire weekends fixing everything... Good luck and keep us posted. Mitch
Old 07-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
IMHO, the truly wonderful thing about fiberglass is that you can completely refasten the cabinetwork, using more fasteners than the original had. In your case, you can cover the old holes, if any aren't reused, and repaint them or the whole thing.

Be sure that the lean isn't caused by one end of the axle more worn than the other -- If that's the original axle, it is about 34 years old...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #9

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Hmmm... Peggy... all that damage is immediately above the axle and at the wheel well. That is the kind of damage I'd expect to see eventually if the trailer was going airborne repeatedly and slamming back down on a dead axle over a period of time. There may be other causes, but I'd sure be suspect of a 34 year old axle. The glass work is all repairable, though.

Roger