Problem Regulator? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am curious about your Suburban stove. Is it plumbed to the high pressure propane? Or, is it down stream of the trailers regulator?....
The popular Suburban SDN2 / SDN3. This Parts Diagram shows the regulator as item #6. The stove is still plumbed to the usual 11 inch water column system, downstream of the two-stage regulator. This was something I was not aware of until I started to learn how a manometer is used to check the propane system. When checking the system, it cannot be connected to the burner assembly because of the stove's built-in regulator. Instead a manometer to check the system pressure can be connected to the flair connection for the stove (item # 7 on the diagram).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #22

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Problem solved! So, redbarron55 stated that the valve on the tank has to be connected to something to let gas out. I hooked up the tanks again, really tight this time, and they work! I think maybe because it was a new hose (squirrels chewed through the old one, again) the threads were a little tight, or something, on the connecting end. Sorry, don’t know the correct terminology, but I fixed it!
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The popular Suburban SDN2 / SDN3. This Parts Diagram shows the regulator as item #6. The stove is still plumbed to the usual 11 inch water column system, downstream of the two-stage regulator. This was something I was not aware of until I started to learn how a manometer is used to check the propane system. When checking the system, it cannot be connected to the burner assembly because of the stove's built-in regulator. Instead a manometer to check the system pressure can be connected to the flair connection for the stove (item # 7 on the diagram).

The stove regulator is for 10" of H2O, one inch less then the main regulator. I am guessing it is for back up, in case the main one fails catastrophically.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #24

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Could be the Type 1 fitting....

Just to add another failure mode to check...

Our system is tank>connector>hose>regulator>all that other stuff.

I just replaced our regulator with a brand new one, as we weren't getting gas into the system from a freshly filled tank that is known to be good.

Still didn't work. I know there is an excess flow preventer in newer Type 1/Acme connectors, designed to prevent large volumes of propane from escaping if a line fails in the system, so I disconnected the line from the regulator, opened the tank valve very slowly, and got....nothing. Cleaned it out, tried it again, got a little gas (like you'd get if the system wasn't up all the way) then nothing. More nothing later.

Went to the Happy RV Parts Store, got a POL (not Acme) to 1/4NPT hose, and all is well. The POL connector has an excess flow device in it, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Hope this helps someone out!
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #25

Name: Sherry
Trailer: Currently shopping
Louisiana
Regulator problem

Last year I replaced the two burner stove and water heater in my 16' Casita. At the same time I replaced the regulator and the hose that went from the propane tank to the regulator. Everything work fine at home. On the first night of a five week trip, I had a nice hot shower. For the the next few days, I could barely get the stove to light & it would go to an extremely small flame. I tried a different propane tank from a very friendly hardware store. Still nothing. Finally found a RV repair shop and had them test everything. Pressure was fine. Nice hot shower that night. Then nothing again. I finally gave up, bought electric kettle, one burner portable stove and enjoyed my trip. Got home & went back to local RV shop. Watched as the system was tested. Initially the pressure was perfect, but over a few minutes is fell to nothing. Both the new regulator and the hose were bad. Replaced both and no more problems.
spatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatrick View Post
...Finally found a RV repair shop and had them test everything. Pressure was fine. Nice hot shower that night. Then nothing again....
Sounds like the first shop did not do a compete check. Hope you didnt pay them.

I frequently recommend this web site for owners to get an idea of what to expect from a complete propane system check. Its good to know what they should be doing.

The RV Doctor: What the Pro's Do - Propane System
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #27

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Thumbs up Great article on RV propane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Sounds like the first shop did not do a compete check. Hope you didnt pay them.

I frequently recommend this web site for owners to get an idea of what to expect from a complete propane system check. Its good to know what they should be doing.

The RV Doctor: What the Pro's Do - Propane System
Thanks for great link, I am going through my 14 year old bigfoot and cleaning up things, nice to find a good resource. I have a few specific questions but will start a new RV propane thread with my issues.
mcmars is offline   Reply With Quote