Problem with Condensation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Problem with Condensation

Our second camping trip in our Burro 13'--had issues with condensation inside. Temps outside in the low 50s- had an electric heater going inside with the top vent cracked.

Condensation inside got the bedding wet where it comes in contact with the wall. Is there anything that can be done to combat the condensation? Are we lacking insulation? Any help would be appreciated. Ed in Michigan
Edward83burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward83burro View Post
Our second camping trip in our Burro 13'--had issues with condensation inside. Temps outside in the low 50s- had an electric heater going inside with the top vent cracked.

Condensation inside got the bedding wet where it comes in contact with the wall. Is there anything that can be done to combat the condensation? Are we lacking insulation? Any help would be appreciated. Ed in Michigan
Your burro is a great trailer, but insulation may not be it's strong point. I suggest buying a roll of Ozite in the color of your choice at your local big box hardware store, then apply it around the wall in the bed area ( maybe from the base to the bottom of the window). It is a nice soft almost fabric rug which may act as a barrier in that area. Also as you have been doing, open the roof vent a little more and turn up the heat if you can . that will convect more heat ( leave the windows closed)
Trying not to breath might help but that's probably not practical.

http://www.ozite.com/rprod.cfm?item=rp7
BTW;
I know it may not be appealing to name your trailer with your own name,but I sure like the name "Edward our Burro"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Condensation inside got the bedding wet where it comes in contact with the wall. Is there anything that can be done to combat the condensation?
My Fiber Stream is single wall fiberglass shell with no insulation or interior wall covering. We always have fine condensation, but I keep the bedding dry.
We had 2 Thermarest Z-Lite Closed-cell Sleeping Pads left over from our tent camping days. I cut each pad into 5 pieces; along every other accordion fold, so I have a double thick row of barriers lined up vertically around the perimeter of the cushions/mattress pad/sheets/blankets so they do not come into contact with the fiberglass shell. We have a King bed in the Fiber Stream. You won't need quite as many pieces.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
If you don't have a fan that would help move the air out.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:

This may not fix your problem, but on our first trip out in our EggCamper (which is somewhat insulated), we had a lot of condensation. Then we learned that if you leave a vent or window opened about an inch, the condensation isn't a problem. Simple and free. I was amazed at how well this worked.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i agree with ron f----keeping both a window open--or 2---at least an inch plus keeping the roof vent open has kept our condensation concerns to a minimum even in subzero temps. good luck.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
i agree with ron f----keeping both a window open--or 2---at least an inch plus keeping the roof vent open has kept our condensation concerns to a minimum even in subzero temps. good luck.

We bought some bubble foil insulation, cut to cover the outside wall about 4 or 5 inches higher than the cushions and slid down to the benches. It is easy to put in or take out according to the weather.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
I put the bubble insulation between the shells on my U-Haul. I had a little condensation, mostly on windows. It was in the 40's and we used no heat.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #9

Michigan
Thanks for the tip Floyd! And.......that Edward "our" Burro is an excellent suggestion..I like it!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hey Ed, I camped at the same place as you, (at the TCT Ralley) and its interesting that I had no issues with condensation. Uhaul doesn't have insulation just like the Burro, and I also used electric heat and cracked the vent. I wonder if it is because there were 2 people in your camper giving off more heat and exhaling, etc?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Hey Ed, I camped at the same place as you, (at the TCT Ralley) and its interesting that I had no issues with condensation. Uhaul doesn't have insulation just like the Burro, and I also used electric heat and cracked the vent. I wonder if it is because there were 2 people in your camper giving off more heat and exhaling, etc?
Could be the fact that there were two of us. We camped this last weekend at Hartwick Pines and temps hit the low 30s.........same issue with windows and skylight cracked. We used towels as a barrier......seemed to help. I think we're going to try a suggested barrier of carpet like material sold at big box stores...
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've been thinking of doing something like that to give just a little extra insulation around the sitting and sleeping areas. I'll have to take a look at whats out there. This is the disadvantage of these 'smooth interior' trailers because they don't usually have insulation between the shells. Sure would be nice if there was a way to insulate between the shells. I've slipped bubble insulation behind my kitchen cabinets and pushed it as far out as possible to either side (and the same with my closet). but there are a lot of areas that I just can't insulate.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I put a maxxi window vent in mine so I could keep a side window open a bit when its raining & I cant leave the roof vent open. Helped a lot with keeping the condensation.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote