Problem with door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Problem with door hinges

i was doing a few things on my 13ft perris pacer ....and noticed that the portion of the hinge that mounts to the trailer (not the door) moves slightly when opening and closing the door. I've tightened up the bolts as much as i dare for fear of snapping them off. Inside the trailer is ensolite, i guess my question is, should i try and peel that back to uncover the wood or whatever is there that the hinge bolt to......is it possible the bolts are threaded into fiberglass strut wood or who knows........I guess i'm looking for some direction prior to doing some detective work on my own.

any one have any ideas....i'm sure others have experienced something similar and wondering what they found and what the fix is

By the way the hinges are the same as a scamp
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
hinge problem

surely someone must have run into this issue.......I can't be the only one with a screw loose ?

Any ideas on what the issue maybe or what the fix is....without me reinventing the wheel
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Alan,
After tightening the bolts can the bolts be turned easily in the holes without a wrench holding the inside? If so the bolts may have a un-threaded shoulder preventing the nuts from tightening against the wall. If that is the problem you could add some washers under each nut, or source some new stainless steel hardware with fully threaded bolts. Also check the balls to make sure they swivel freely and are lubed. If they didh't swivel it would cause the hinges to try to squirm.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote