Problems with Fiamma awnings?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Problems with Fiamma awnings??

I'm thinking of replacing my non-functioning awning on my 13' Scamp with a Fiamma F45S. Anyone had problems with theirs?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my non-functioning awning on my 13' Scamp with a Fiamma F45S. Anyone had problems with theirs?
The Fiama is a good choice.
If your old awning is a Catalina 2500, save it. They have stopped production on it and some folks will need it for parts.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
If your old awning is a Catalina 2500, save it. They have stopped production on it and some folks will need it for parts.
I need parts
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Name: Glen
Trailer: Escape
Missouri
Fiamma F45s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
We have this unit on our Casita Independence and have used it frequently over the past year as we covered 5,250 or so miles in a wide variety of weather. Once we were used to opening and closing it it proved a reliable, simple and fast awning to use. Generally we also hang a sunshade from one of the end rafters to provide protection from the sun since that often makes sitting outside a bit uncomfortable. All-in-all the Fiamma is an excellent addition to the trailer but be careful to take the time to retract it if it gets windy or you plan to leave it unattended since I can see that a strong gust could damage the aluminum framing pretty quickly. Good luck, Glen
Two Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

Name: Glen
Trailer: Escape
Missouri
Fiamma awning experiences

[QUOTE=Two Step;623723]We have this unit on our Casita Independence and have used it frequently over the past year as we covered 5,250 or so miles in a wide variety of weather. Once we were used to opening and closing it it proved a reliable, simple and fast awning to use. Generally we also hang a sunshade from one of the end rafters to provide protection from the sun since that often makes sitting outside a bit uncomfortable. All-in-all the Fiamma is an excellent addition to the trailer but be careful to take the time to retract it if it gets windy or you plan to leave it unattended since I can see that a strong gust could damage the aluminum framing pretty quickly. Good luck, Glen
Two Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I need parts
I might still have a few parts, what do you need?
Your awning is likely a 10 footer, the 13 uses an 8ft awning. The case and rafters may not adapt, but the end caps, legs and joints likely will.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I might still have a few parts, what do you need?
end caps, the little "T" shaped piece that latches into the lid when closed, lock knobs for the rafters. It works as is, so nothing urgently needed but replacement parts would be nice to have.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

Michigan
I'll check to see what kind of awning I currently have, and let you know if it's a Catilina 2500.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I installed the fiamma on our scamp. It is a sweet awning. No regrets.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
end caps, the little "T" shaped piece that latches into the lid when closed, lock knobs for the rafters. It works as is, so nothing urgently needed but replacement parts would be nice to have.
Are you going to Sebring?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #11

New York
Not going to Sebring Floyd. We are farther south in Florida until Jan. 28, then up to Stephen Foster SP for a couple days, then northeast to the coast of GA
Old 01-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have a Fiama on our new Parkliner.
The manual for it says that it should be used only as a sun shade.
That it should be closed in the rain, and strong winds.????
That seems to contradict the reasons we want an awning.
We want to be able to sit out and read, or have lunch, or just watch the people, even in the rain.
For windy days you need to add tie down ropes and stakes.

I have a challenge to seal the gap between the roof and awning case, which is uneven along its length.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We have a Fiama on our new Parkliner.
The manual for it says that it should be used only as a sun shade.
That it should be closed in the rain, and strong winds.????
That seems to contradict the reasons we want an awning.
We want to be able to sit out and read, or have lunch, or just watch the people, even in the rain.
For windy days you need to add tie down ropes and stakes.

I have a challenge to seal the gap between the roof and awning case, which is uneven along its length.
We use ours in the rain quite a bit, so far it hasn't melted. It's basically a large kite, tho, so it needs to be securely tied down. The degree of tied-down-ness being proportional to the amount it has been extended.

We stuff a pool noodle above the awning to divert some of the flow down the side of the trailer near the door. Others have added gutters, this is on my list of future mods.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wayne, some of that sounds like lawyer-speak to me. Manuals are reviewed and edited by lawyers anxious to avoid product liability and operating from a lowest-common-denominator perspective.

If it rains, slant the awning from end to end so it will shed water. If it is breezy, roll it in partway and/or tie it down. If there is a thunderstorm approaching, or if you are leaving camp for a extended outing, or if there is a high wind warning on your weather app, stow it. In other words, common sense.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #15

Michigan
Thanks Wayne & Batbara, Jim, and Jon for your opinions. They're helpful to me. Also others who have responded
Old 01-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #16

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
We love our awning and have never had any issues with it. I always roll it securely away in the case of heavy winds. It's great to have in rainy weather, both for cooking and for getting in and out of rain gear!

It also dries quickly from morning dew so we get on the road quite quickly.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #17

Registry
Wayne;
Not positive, but I think they all say that.

Actually, our Catalina and our EZ up type things seldom provide shade while you are directly under them anyway!(depending on time of day and which direction the trailer is facing.
Last year we sat through three days of hard rain with our awning extended. we even bought a clear shower curtain to attach to the end of the awning to help keep the rain out.
It is nice to sit under the awning while it rains when you can't otherwise get outside.

I did see a Fiama collapse from the rain once, but it was not set up to allow the rain to run off. Also I think Fiama offers extra rafters which latch in place.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #18

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
With any awning you must not let water pool on top. Set up with lots of down and side slope. Do not leave awning deployed while you are away when high winds are forcast. (I lost a perfectly good Catalina 2500 to a freak wind storm in our absence) The Fiamma deploys quickly and easily, so I sometimes roll it up just in case before retiring at night. It's a bummer to be awakened by wind blowing the awning around, and have to get up in the wind and darkness to secure it. Water weighs about 8.5 pounds per gallon, and an awning can collect several gallons in a short time if set up wrong. All RV awnings are designed to carry the weight of zero gallons.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning