Progressive Dynamics PD4045 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Good evening,

I need some help with AC wring on my new PD4045. Is the 30amp main a special type of breaker? I am somewhat of a novice at this and want to be sure I get it right. I notice from the wiring digram that the main hot lead is connected in the normal position at the bottom of the breaker, but the diagram also shows an optional 30amp lug to the left of the main 30amp breaker. It looks from the drawing as if one would connect directly to this lug (if used), thus bypassing the main breaker? That certainly cannot be right?

I also notice that the panel only appears to house the main 30amp plus two 15amp breakers for branch circuits. Progressive, however, says that the panel will accomodate up to 5 branch AC circuits. I would think that there would be 5 branch circuit breakers. Why only three.

Thanks everyone,
Carl

Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

I think I may have answered my own question. The use of tandem circuit breakers will allow for 5 circuits. Is this correct?

Also. Is there a need for arc fault circuit interrupter breakers in a trailer?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
I think I am going to buy the same converter for my boler. It has 3 openings for breakers but you can buy tandem breakers that have two circuit breakers that are the same size as one standard breaker, thus allowing you to have 6 breakers installed, since one of these must be the main breaker that feeds the others it leaves you with 5 branch breakers if you install three tandem breaker units. What I plan to do is buy a standard single 30 amp breaker to act as the main breaker and two tandem breakers, 15 amp per circuit. This will give me one large main breaker and then 4 branch breakers on tandem units. Do keep in mind that the 12 volt converter does require one breaker for its power. In my installation I will have three circuits remaining for the rest of the trailer, one for interior receptacles, one for the fridge, and one for the exterior receptacle I plan to install.

The installation manual for that converter lists the types of breakers that will fit, the Square D homeline breakers are easily found in the standard and tandem sizes at any Home Depot or electrical supplier. The HOM models are the single circuit breakers and the HOMT models are the tandem ones. You do not need arc fault breakers in the trailer, and also a one circuit arc fault breaker takes up two breaker slots and would take up almost all the space in the converter. One thing I like to do is install GFCI receptacles in the trailer, which are safer around water and are especially important since my receptacle in the trailer is only 6 inches from the sink.
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

Thank you John. You verfied what I discovered last night. I now plan on doing the same - one main 30 amp and tandems for the other slots. I can tell you that the PD4045 is a great little package. Everything is well orgainized in such a small unit. It is perfect for our small, 13' eggs!

Carl
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Carl, Whoops.... replied to wrong thread. Sorry
Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote