Progressive Dynamics PD4045 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	4045_installation.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	28728

I'm installing a Progressive Dynamics PD4045. Many of you have answered just about all of my questions, but I ran into one more thing I am unsure of. If I run all of the short 12vDC positive wires that came pre-wired with the converter to a barrier terminal block similar to the one in the picture from a install in an airstream (thanks for the link Matt!), does this postive terminal block(it is the large one just behind the converter in the picture) need to be enclosed in some type of box or can it just be mounted near the converter/charger?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry

I saw some enclosed style terminal blocks at Radio Shack earlier today. They were called european style.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103230

If there is a danger of someone dropping coins or car keys between the terminal or bus you might cover it. Some people use a clear plexi shield mounted on standoffs.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If all those terminals are 12VDC positive, you don't have to worry about shorting any two of them because something was dropped onto them. That being said, I wouldn't want a strip of positives uncovered. If somehow one (or more) got shorted to ground (like at that grounding block I see mounted nearby), at least it would blow fuses or melt wires, at most it would catch on fire and probably do considerable damage. There are plenty of insulated terminal strips out there, get one and use it. The one shown from Radio Shack would work just fine.

Good luck...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote