progressive Dynamics power converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
So what should this do when running off a battery? I bought a battery hooked it up and the interior lights run fine, which what I intended the battery for as profane can do the rest. But shouldn't I be able to plug in an appliance or two? Do they plug into the old converters 115v plug in or one of the wall mounted recepticles? Tried a can opener and hair dryer and neither work in either one. I would imagine if the fuse were gone in the converter nothing would work including the interior lights but they all work fine off the battery. Will the dometic fridge run off it as well? I will know if mine will as I turned it to 12volt a while ago. A big drain I would imagine though.
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
Hi Paddy
all your converter does is converts 120 volt ac to 12 v dc to run yout 12 volt load like lights and fridge if it a 12 volter and to recharge your onboard battery '

to run 120 v stuff while away from a tree with a power outlet you need an inverter
which tanks 12 v dc in and puts out 120 v ac
hope this helped
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi Paddy
all your converter does is converts 120 volt ac to 12 v dc to run yout 12 volt load like lights and fridge if it a 12 volter and to recharge your onboard battery '
to run 120 v stuff while away from a tree with a power outlet you need an inverter
which tanks 12 v dc in and puts out 120 v ac
hope this helped
Gotcha thanks, Paddy
Old 04-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
So what should this do when running off a battery? I bought a battery hooked it up and the interior lights run fine, which what I intended the battery for as profane can do the rest. But shouldn't I be able to plug in an appliance or two? Do they plug into the old converters 115v plug in or one of the wall mounted recepticles? Tried a can opener and hair dryer and neither work in either one. I would imagine if the fuse were gone in the converter nothing would work including the interior lights but they all work fine off the battery. Will the dometic fridge run off it as well? I will know if mine will as I turned it to 12volt a while ago. A big drain I would imagine though.
Paddy,

You're going to ruin that new battery if you leave the refrigerator on DC very long. The refrigeartor draws from 120 to 180 watts depending on the size. That's between 10 and 15 amps coming out of the new battery.

The DC setting of the refrigerator is for use while towing when the tow vehicle alternator supplies the power to run the refrigerator.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Paddy,

You're going to ruin that new battery if you leave the refrigerator on DC very long. The refrigeartor draws from 120 to 180 watts depending on the size. That's between 10 and 15 amps coming out of the new battery.

The DC setting of the refrigerator is for use while towing when the tow vehicle alternator supplies the power to run the refrigerator.
Yup thanks, I only had it on for a wee bit to see if it works. Running the propane now, and that works too, so does the shore power. tks, Paddy