propane & batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Hi guys & gals, I have a question. Can I put the propane tank & batteries together in the same tongue box so long as its vented!
JIMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I would figure that you can. Bigfoot does this. Their factory tongue box house propane bottles and batteries together.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As long as the box is vented. Remember propane fumes sink, put the vent down at the bottom of the box. I'm putting a diamond plate tongue box on and have got the vent (soffit vent for a house) riveted into the lower corner by the tank. The battery is in a marine box, figure I'll use that too inside the tongue box.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Hopefully the box is not just vented, but partitioned into propane and electrical sides... then it is effectively two suitable housings, which happen to be adjacent.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Vent BOTH top and bottom.

Have you ever seen a vacationer driving down the road with 5 gallon fuel cans fixed to the outside lower rear of their vehicle or trailer? Molotov would be proud.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Even better is when the Alaskans carry them on the roof, secured with old bungees, long enuf for the red plastic to turn white and brittle -- I call it the Alaskan's Revenge because one of the last things the other driver will see in a head-on is the gas cans headed his way...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Vent BOTH top and bottom.
Since I'm going to be putting the propane and battery in an enclosed area (the battery will be in its own box), please tell me why I need to vent the top? I thought propane gas sunk and that's why the bottom area needed to be vented Is it for the battery? I certainly don't want to be dangerous!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...please tell me why I need to vent the top? I thought propane gas sunk and that's why the bottom area needed to be vented Is it for the battery?
The gas emitted from batteries is hydrogen - it will want to rise out the top. The top-and-bottom vent recommendation is still probably more about the propane.

In both cases (battery and propane) it makes sense to me to vent both bottom and top, because whichever end the nasty stuff is leaving from, you need air to flow in to replace it.

Imagine opening a bottle of water and turning it completely upside down - the water certainly wants to drain out the bottom, but does not do so smoothly. With a vent hole punched in the top, replacement air comes in and the water empties faster. I realize that propane vapour is not like water, but it is still the denser fluid, and I think the top vent still applies.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #9

Okay, thanks for the explanation Brian. I'll rivet the same type soffitt vent on the other side of the box, at the top.

No Kaboooom for me