propane cap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
My hot water tank finally bit the proverbial dust and I have another one on order. It's a little Atwood 6 gallon pilot ignition model. I'm waiting for the thing to be delivered hopefully before I hit the road to BC for the Langley meet.

Anyway the gas line is open and I want some sort of cap for it until install is complete. Any ideas? I need to cap the line off so I can use the stove.

thanks so much
carole
carole sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Carol,

They should have a plug with threads in the water heater section at most hardware stores, just tell the folks there what ur doing and they'll help you find it. You'll need to know the size to buy. Put gas tape on the threads screw it into the fitting and soap test it to make it isn't leaking before you use the stove.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
My hot water tank finally bit the proverbial dust and I have another one on order. It's a little Atwood 6 gallon pilot ignition model. I'm waiting for the thing to be delivered hopefully before I hit the road to BC for the Langley meet.

Anyway the gas line is open and I want some sort of cap for it until install is complete. Any ideas? I need to cap the line off so I can use the stove.

thanks so much
carole
The Atwood uses a 3/8" flare fitting. Ask the folks at the local hardware store for a male 3/8" flare plug (sometimes called a blank-off plug). If you go to a Home Depot or Lowes they have a display of all the fittings available so you can find exactly what you want. Also make sure you check for leaks with a soap solution after you any work on gas fittings. Propane packs a mighty wallop when it detonates.

BTW - Do not use thread sealer on flare fittings. They seal by pressing the flared end of the Cu pipe against a tapered end on the brass fitting, not by an interference fit on the threads.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
The Atwood uses a 3/8" flare fitting. Ask the folks at the local hardware store for a male 3/8" flare plug (sometimes called a blank-off plug). If you go to a Home Depot or Lowes they have a display of all the fittings available so you can find exactly what you want. Also make sure you check for leaks with a soap solution after you any work on gas fittings. Propane packs a mighty wallop when it detonates.

BTW - Do not use thread sealer on flare fittings. They seal by pressing the flared end of the Cu pipe against a tapered end on the brass fitting, not by an interference fit on the threads.
thank you so very much for that info. I'm off to Home Depot in the AM

knowledge is power especially when it comes to plumbing and electricity..
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Carol,

They should have a plug with threads in the water heater section at most hardware stores, just tell the folks there what ur doing and they'll help you find it. You'll need to know the size to buy. Put gas tape on the threads screw it into the fitting and soap test it to make it isn't leaking before you use the stove.
thanks so much greg I'm on it in the morning.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
and 4 mornings later Carol is down the road again still NOT splattered all over the Fort Campground.

She was having a problem getting the plug to seal. I tried tightening it ONCE and soap tested it. It looked great untill I retested it about 3 or 4 minutes later and found bubbles forming. I took out the plug and re installed it, got it a little tighter and retested it, rechecked after about 5 more minutes and no new bubbles were forming. Nice rig you have there Carol, hope to see you back in the fall when you won't have to wear THOSE hats to keep ya warm!!! Stewpid Rain......

The shirts ARE only $10.00 each, LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane