Propane Consumption - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
All propane cylinders have to be carried vertically. If they vent. You want gas coming out not liquid which expands 200 times in volume. Lay it down inside a car ? A big no-no
I am a bit surprised to find this is true. See the following URL for more information: http://www.mutualpropane.ab.ca/Porta...eCylinders.pdf

-- Dan Meyer

Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
They don't sell horizontal propane tanks in Canada? I see this PDF Dan referenced is a Canadian document. What about big moho's that have horizontal propane tanks? Hummm.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They don't sell horizontal propane tanks in Canada? I see this PDF Dan referenced is a Canadian document. What about big moho's that have horizontal propane tanks? Hummm.
While horizontal tanks exist (I have used a portable horizontal tank with a fork lift) they, like vertical tanks should be transported in their operating orientation for the reason Night Sailor stated. You do not want the vent to dump liquid propane, particularly in an enclosed vehicle.

The motorhome tanks are designed for permanent mounting, and I believe are regulated differently than portable tanks. Some permanent tanks (although not the motorhome versions) have both gas & liquid outlets.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Yes the do but all the vents and knobs etc are not on the very end but on the long side of tank so they vent from the top not the end.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
My slide-in camper for a pickup truck had 2 horizontal 20 tanks; think they all still do. Had to haul them in/out to refill.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #20

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My slide-in camper for a pickup truck had 2 horizontal 20 tanks; think they all still do. Had to haul them in/out to refill.
Yes. I owned for several years a 12' Real Lite, side entry, cabover camper. It had 2 horizontal 20# tanks with an auto switchover valve/regulator. I had to take each tank out separately for refill. They had the valve/controls in the normal place (at the end) but each one had a 'saddle' bracket welded to the side for horizontal stability. Pretty sure that the internal pickup tube was for horizontal use even tho they were filled from a vertical position. Each used a regular POL fitting for filling/delivery connection. We made the Alaska Highway trip with that camper in '93 & I had at least 1 tank filled in Canada (Lethbridge, AB ??)with no problem (rules may have been different then??). Glad I never had to replace either of those tanks as I'm sure they'd have been more expensive than a standard vertical 20# 'bottle'. At most propane dealers they still use a 'quick spin hand wheel' POL type valve for refilling tanks, even the ones with QC-1 valves & the OPD device.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:

Liquid propane expands about 200 times to a gas. If a tank that is normally used in a vertical orientation is laid down inside a car and a temperature change causes it to vent liquid instead of gas, as a liquid it could expand and literally fill the interior with propane gas. A tiny spark would cause a nice explosion. If a gas is vented much less would come out.

100 lb tanks must be weighed to fill as they have one less safeguard , so it is even more important to transport them upright.

Transporting propane in an enclosed vehicle should be avoided for this reason. This is why propane cylinders are mounted outside or in vented compartments.

Tanks designed for horizontal use need to be transported in a horizontal orientation I presume.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
propane