Propane-Fueled Cook Top Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
We want to replace the Suburban 2-burner propane cook top that came with our Casita with a propane-fueled cooktop that does not have the same weaknesses:

- the controls are placed beside one of the burners, are exposed to the flames, and become very hot
- it has no frame to prevent pots from being knocked off (unlike marine stoves such as the Force 10)
- it's ugly, and the white-enamelled frame is very hard to clean (which makes it even uglier)

I'm familiar with marine 2-burner drop-in propane cooktops, and will go with that (losing our drawer in the process) if we can't find an alternative --- but I would love to find an alternative! My research into propane stoves for the RV market has produced only higher-end versions of what we have (controls on the cooktop, for example), or cook tops that are too large for our little Casita.

We do have a Primus camp stove --- but we can't use it inside the trailer and one of the major advantages of having a trailer is that I don't have to cook out of doors.

All comments most gratefully accepted!

Elisabeth
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
You may want to check out SMEV cooktops (from an Italian manufacturer for RVs & boats). You can find them currently on Ebay in a variety of styles. The two-burner drop in that came in our Oliver has a glass cover that flips up as a flame/splash guard, and is level with the countertop when closed, expanding my workspace when not cooking. Ours has 12-volt ignition, but I think they're available without, too. Along with Oliver, I understand Tab is also using some SMEVs. It does not have a fiddle to keep pots from being knocked over, but I don't think I've ever seen one on an RV cooktop. SMEVs clean up beautifully, and my controls don't get hot. Very quick heating, sealed burner, and fuel efficient. I love mine.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Sherry and Paul,

Thank you for the recommendation; I think the cook top in your Oliver might be perfect. However, after I looked at the wide range of cooktops on the SMEV website and at photos on the Oliver website, I couldn't identify the specific cook top that you have installed.

When you next have an opportunity, could you find the model number of the cooktop that's installed in your Oliver and let me (and everyone else on this forum, actually) know? Thank you in advance

Elisabeth
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If you want the best, check out the "Force 10" cook tops and ranges made in Canada for fine yachts. They are pretty pricey, but you can often fine them in the used yachting equipment shops.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Hi, Elisabeth,
I think this is the one I have. We're out on a camping trip, but stopped at a lovely coffee shop in NC with wifi!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMEV-PI8022...sspagenameZWD1V

Happy camping
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi, Elisabeth,
I think this is the one I have. We're out on a camping trip, but stopped at a lovely coffee shop in NC with wifi!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMEV-PI8022...sspagenameZWD1V

Happy camping
Sherry
Thank you! I see that the seller is SMEV USA, so I'll call them. I googled SMEV and got the headquarters, I think, which doesn't show this model.

Happy camping to you, too!

Best,
Elisabeth
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The SMEV cooktop I like is their MO8322 unit, a combined 2-burner cooktop and sink . . . makes cleanup (particularly cleanup after something boils over) much faster, and the folding lid closes flush to the counter top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMEV_MO8322_two_burner_sink_stove.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	14251
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane