Propane Furnace Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Propane Furnace Vent

If I'm not using the propane furnace, is there any reason I shouldn't block off the outside vent?

The wind must have been gusting at least 40 knots the other night and I could feel a strong, cold breeze coming through the inside furnace vent. When I opened the drawer directly above the vent same thing. I draped a towel over the inside vent and that helped a little, but didn't keep all the cold air out.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
No reason for them. I've definitely heard complaints from some people about both the propane fridge and the furnace, because of their venting requirements. It definitely opens up big holes in the camper.

If you don't use the furnace, plug it up. Just pull the fuse or something on the furnace to make sure no one flips it on by mistake, not knowing it's plugged.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Check your furnace installation. It should take isolated fresh air into the plenum from the vent for combustion and exhaust it back out. How do you get air into your trailer through the furnace vent unless the plenum is leaking due to damage or improper installation?

If all is well with the furnace, check your fridge to see if it is sealed on the sides from allowing air into the cabinet. This is much more likely.
You can insulate it using foil covered Tuff-R and aluminum tape...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our 2016 ParkLiner also blows air through the drawer and space below the drawer where the furnace would be. On investigation, I see that it comes from the fridge vent door. There is no partition between. I have told PL that the fridge compartment is supposed to be completely sealed off from the rest of the cabinets. They said they would look into it but I have not heard a word since.
The vent openings in the fridge door are large enough to let bugs in. I tried adding window screen, but it has an odd shape that makes it tough to hold in place.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Air intrusion.

Saw a fix for this problem last weekend. A sheet of flexible magnet material from a craft store placed over the furnace vent inside. Fixed the air intrusion and easy to remove to use furnace.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Saw a fix for this problem last weekend. A sheet of flexible magnet material from a craft store placed over the furnace vent inside. Fixed the air intrusion and easy to remove to use furnace.
The air intrusion is not coming through the furnace.
It comes from the fridge vent door on the outside and blows through the cabinets and around the furnace. The drawer and doors do not seal tightly.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
One thing to consider before blocking any propane device vent. Well two one obvious. The other the vents are already outside the cabin. The furnace vent is both air intake and exhaust for the firebox ONLY. The fridge has to get rid of heat someway, the vent does that and does NOT connect to the interior of cabin. Therefore I see no reason the block these vents so that you can forget you blocked them and fire up fridge or the furnace.
There's a song about that "Smoke gets in you eyes."
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have to agree with Floyd or Wayne. on my Boler the vent only goes out from the heat chamber but in the same double lined tube fresh air is brought in but only into the heat chamber.
A fan then goes through the triangle shaped heat chamber to blow the heated air into the camper.
No opening to outside from inside of camper.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane