Propane Hook-up Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've removed the dual tank regulator from my scamp. I'm left with this on the end of the piping leading into the trailer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	13388

I'm looking to move to one tank to save some weight and because I doubt I'll even go through a tank a season. I've looked on-line and I've been to a few RV stores to look at regulators.

My question is:

What parts would I need to hook up my 20 lb bottle so that I can attach a hose for my outside camp stove that takes the disposable bottles as well as hook-up a new dual stage single tank regulator? Being able to turn off the flow to the hose/stove would be a bonus.

Looking at the regulator at the store, I think I'll need this piece:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	13389

to go from the regulator 'out' to the piping leading into the trailer.

I'm feeling a little information overload from all the items at the store and need someone knowledgeable to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I actually just saw a tee at Menard's that will go into your tank which allows your regulator to attach to one end, and has a disposable type bottle end on the other (you'd need to use an extension hose).

So basically, you'd have tank->tee->regulator->camper
->extension hose->bbq/stove

It was a 13 dollar item, and I'll likely be picking one up in the next couple of days to use on my rig.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
They also have the propane T's at Canadian Tire but they are expensive.

As Paul outlined, we be will getting a T for our single propane tank and an 8' propane hose extension to handle our outdoor propane stove.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
What parts would I need to hook up my 20 lb bottle so that I can attach a hose for my outside camp stove that takes the disposable bottles as well as hook-up a new dual stage single tank regulator? Being able to turn off the flow to the hose/stove would be a bonus.
You would need to put something like this between your tank and regulator. Plus an extension hose to your stove. The hose to the stove disconnects just like undoing the disposable propane bottle - no valve needed.

Name:   tee.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  6.4 KB
Attached Images

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[quote]You would need to put something like this between your tank and regulator. Plus an extension hose to your stove. The hose to the stove disconnects just like undoing the disposable propane bottle - no valve needed.

Attachment 13393

Thanks for the info. I saw a similar item at Wallyworld but wasn't sure if this device also adjusted the pressure levels.

Next question: I did a quick search to see if there's a flexible hose to go either between the 20 lb tank and the device Roy mentioned or between the outlet of that device and the regulator. I didn't see anything but perhaps I didnt's search under the correct name. I'd like to be able to have something flexible so that when I change tanks I'm not bending the copper tubing to the trailer around (and also to allow for a little wiggle room in installation).
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #6

Hi Todd,

I am not sure what you are looking for. The propane T will connect right to the tank. From there you would run the existing hose/regulator on your trailer from one side of the T and then an extension hose to your stove from the other side of your T.

Coleman has a bunch of this equipment on their site

I was considering getting a 2nd T to handle a propane stove and a propane lamp. I hate throwing away those mini propane containers and I have yet to find anywhere that will recycle them.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #7

If you click on View Larger Images on this unit it has a diagram of uses:

Camping World
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Booker,

I don't know where he purchased it, but the guy I bought my Campster from last month showed me a adapter that he claimed allowed him to refill his propane cannisters directly from the tank on his RV. I do not know how safe they are, or even if what he was doing was what the device was designed for, but it might be worth investigating. Then you could reuse those cylinders you've been accumulating.

Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Do some archivery magic on refilling LP cannisters for information on the pros and cons of doing it (seems to be one of those digital things, with people being strongly for or against it).

It IS illegal to transport refilled cannisters for commercial purposes, but NOT for private purposes (the warning on the cannisters doesn't quote the entire law).

With regard to running all sorts of LP appliances from egg tanker, my understanding is that some appliances need the full (unregulated) tank pressure and some need regulated pressure, so that may change the connection location with respect to the tank regulator.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Do some archivery magic on refilling LP cannisters for information on the pros and cons of doing it (seems to be one of those digital things, with people being strongly for or against it).

It IS illegal to transport refilled cannisters for commercial purposes, but NOT for private purposes (the warning on the cannisters doesn't quote the entire law).

With regard to running all sorts of LP appliances from egg tanker, my understanding is that some appliances need the full (unregulated) tank pressure and some need regulated pressure, so that may change the connection location with respect to the tank regulator.
Appliances which use the one-pound throw away bottles have pressure regulators built-in so they need high pressure feed from the tank. That's the purpose of the adapter shown in Roy's post. It fits between the tank and the trailer regulator and uses a hose to connect from there to the external appliance. On one end is a fitting which looks like the top of a throw away bottle; that screws right in to the appliance where the throw away bottle normally screws in.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane