Propane leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hi all,

Anyone out there have knowledge of the propane system on a 13' Scamp, circa 1977?

We cut the stove line, and need to terminate it properly, still not sure how to do this.

Our stove top does not work, there is an audible leak in the propane system, any tips on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Kate Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Kate,

We'll need more info and perhaps some pics would help as well.

In my 81 Scamp 13 I have a T in the propane line behind the refrigerator to split off to refig and stove top.
Pretty easy to troubleshoot gas systems. Mix a cup of dishwashing detergent and water. Keep it on the soapy side and get a toothbrush. Turn the system on and starting at the tank soap all the connections. The leak will blow bubbles like a 3 year old.. Not a bad idea to take all your connections apart at this point, wrap new gas tape on, tighten them up and soap test.

Of course you'll need to terminate your stove line first and not really sure from your description what you need. To terminate a copper gas line you'll need a flair tool and the proper fixtures for the end. Flair tools are about $40 up. Simpler is to get the flexible gas line in the water heater section of hardware store and run a new piece from the T to the stove. They already have the terminations on both ends, just need to get the correct size.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Simpler is to get the flexible gas line in the water heater section of hardware store and run a new piece from the T to the stove. They already have the terminations on both ends, just need to get the correct size.
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg & Kate
Word of warning if your talking about the metal flexable gas lines I got one not reading the lable first and after taking it home I read on it that it is not to be installed in an RV.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
No need to be afraid of propane - get educated and keep your eyes, nose and ears open. Don't use any tape on copper on copper fittings, threaded or flared. I bought an excellent propane gauge from Uhaul to watch when the tank gets low, but the best use I've found is for checking for leaks anywhere in the system. I've looked at other gauges, and not seen that feature. About $20.
phil clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane