Propane level monitoring - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Groan......lol
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use the hot water trick but in conjunction with a non-contact thermometer - same one I use to check my hubs.

Of course I could just touch the tank to feel the temperature difference , but would that be hi-tech?

Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer

Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #23

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I have two tanks, so I just watch for the green to turn to red and if you have both tanks on it will switch over automatically. If you have only one tank. I like the lift method the best to check the weight or carry a spare tank.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
...... I like the lift method the best to check the weight or carry a spare tank.
My tank is bolted tight. To lift it, I have to loosen a bolt and undo the hose. Not convenient for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Like I said in my first post, I just think the strip would be much easier to use.
I still don't get it. The strip might be easy to read, but you still need to pour hot water to use it, so I don't know where the ease of use comes from.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Let's not overcomplicate!

The original question from Bob asked about whether a simple propane gauge which can be obtained for about $15 would let you know whether you have enough propane.

I think the answer is "yes".

We have been using one for four years and have never had a problem with it. When the gauge shows the propane level is low we can get the tank filled or swap it with one we know has enough propane. Simple.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I still don't get it. The strip might be easy to read, but you still need to pour hot water to use it, so I don't know where the ease of use comes from.
I know a couple people with them and am fairly sure they don't pour hot water on them to read them. Almost positive. On Canada Day weekend there will be a trailer there with them, and I will quiz then on their experiences.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #28

Quote:
I know a couple people with them and am fairly sure they don't pour hot water on them to read them. Almost positive. On Canada Day weekend there will be a trailer there with them, and I will quiz then on their experiences.
From your link:

Quote:
A special thermochromic ink changes from yellow to orange when you pour water down the length of the gauge. Within a few seconds, the portion of the gauge that returns to yellow indicates the level of propane.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
From your link:
Someone else posted the link, and I did not read it. Definitely going to have to check them out in 2 weeks time when camping with my friend who uses them.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Someone else posted the link, and I did not read it. Definitely going to have to check them out in 2 weeks time when camping with my friend who uses them.
Oops, I guess it was BC Paul that posted it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere...

If the propane is in use, and preferably at a high rate (not just the refrigerator), then the propane is chilled by the vapourization required to keep up with vapour withdrawal. Up to the liquid level the tank wall will be much colder than above it, where the propane is vapour. You can feel, or see (as condensation or even frost), or measure (with Tom's non-contact thermometer or an LCD strip) the difference in temperature... no hot water required.

If the propane is not flowing, everything is at the same temperature, and there is no way for a temperature measurement to determine level. Thus, the instruction from the Magnetic Propane Tank Gauge web page which Tom quoted. The strip (or other temperature measurement) shows where the liquid conducts heat more effectively than the vapour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
The original question from Bob asked about whether a simple propane gauge which can be obtained for about $15 would let you know whether you have enough propane.
The answer is "it depends"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
When the gauge shows the propane level is low we can get the tank filled or swap it with one we know has enough propane.
It depends on whether or not the propane is in use. If the propane is flowing, the chilling effect lowers the pressure, and when remaining amount gets low enough the temperature (and thus pressure) drops, as indicated on the GasWatch or similar gauge.

If the propane is not in use, it is at the surrounding temperature. Since the cheap gauge measures nothing but pressure, and the pressure depends on nothing but temperature, the reading will be the same regardless of the propane level. One drop left or completely full gives the same reading.

These pressure gauges tell you if you are about to run out, while using the propane. If you check it before leaving on a trip, while no propane is being burned, it will always tell you that you have lots left, even if you have almost none.

Of course, we've been through all of this before, with the same conclusions because the science has not changed, but many members seem unwilling to look at the old discussion threads.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #32

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
David, I have never found it difficult to see the propane level in my tank. I have never tried checking in low light conditions such as at night, but would imagine seeing under those conditions to be difficult.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
For those unfamiliar:

One style of the changeover regulator. It is pointing to the left tank which is being considered empty (because of the red band) but is drawing from the right tank (assuming there is gas in it). Turning the black knob over to the right would cut out the left tank making it safe to remove it and refill while leaving the right tank as the source. The band would then turn green assuming gas in the right tank.

I've used mine for years with no issues. I make it a point to refill the newly empty tank immediately, even if camping. I'm always out exploring the area and can find a hardware or UHaul store to refil. Propane is a common household fuel in rural areas and refill stations aren't hard to find.
Attached Images

Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane