Propane Line - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Just finished up painting my new frame last night and hopefully put the shell back on tonight. I am going to replace the copper propane line that feeds from the block up front to a4 way manifold mounted under the body. I had a piece of new tubing left over from our small tent trailer that I did last year but when I look at it, it is 1/2" copper tubing and the one on our Trillium is 3/8". Now the trillium feeds 3 appliances where the tent trailer only fed 2 (no furnace). I am presuming this line is original on the Trillium. Can anybody confirm this or shed light on why they would use a smaller line (possibly for more pressure as opposed to more volume is what I am thinking but don't know for sure)?
Thanks...
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I do know that the pressure will not be any greater with the larger line because the regulator is set at a constant 10" WC.
You will have more volume in the line after regulator and that is all you will have.
I ran a Propane tree stand last year while camping and it was a 1/2 pipe with a standard 10"WC regulator and while running 2 burners on the camp stove, a small table top grill and the lantern, there was a problem of not one of the appliances working at 100%.
I was haveing a cook-out at the time and I doubt that you will run all your appliances at 100% at the same time and your indoor appliances probably does not require the amount of gas that I was with the afore mentioned items.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our 5er has a water heater, furnace, 'fridge, and two-burner range, all fed by one 3/8" pipe.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
For 30 years our home ran off a 1/2" propane line. 4 burner kitchen range w/ oven, 2 direct vent wall furnaces, and 1 regular wall furnace. We never had any problem, but when we added an aditional direct vent wall furnace and 2 tankless hot water heaters (to reduce the electric bills) during a remodel, we upgraded to 3/4" propane lines.

I doubt you'll ever experience any difficulty with 3/8" lines. If you were going to use a couple of turkey-sized deep fryers and cook on your range while someone was taking a shower and the refrigerator door was standing open it is conceivable there might be a problem. Personally, I'd have the deep-fryers on a separate propane container rather than off the TT plumbing anyway.

My perspective to add to your ,
Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Thanks for the input. I just replaced the line with a new piece of 3/8" copper tubing the sme as it was. Good to go.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane