propane line questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
propane line questions

hello. I feel like , hey don't know shinola, but really don't...learning curve...on the front of the trailer I will have a 1/2" pipe stubbed out. There will be a rubber hose from the regulator to this line. this line presumably appears to screw directly into the regulator. Do I use a male to female adapter and then a reducing bushing and what type of connection. It would have to be some sort of coupling so that it can be removed for replacement when damaged/weathered/rendered unusable. would this be a flare fitting or is it vice versa with a screw-in into the 1/2 line female and the a coupling at the regulator ? ....same with the stub ups to the refrig and stove. I will be using rubber hoses and not flared copper. on the stub ups a reducing bushing into the tees and line/hose screwed into tee/elbow and then what ????. thank you in advance. Everyone was extremely helpful on prior thread.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Find someone that knows what they are doing. That is by no means the proper way to install lp lines. You don't use rubber fitting anywhere. It's not your outside gas grill. How much is your life and family worth. If you have to ask, leave it to the experts.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
woops...if there were only some experts available to me, then...but I thought that was why I was here.....there was a guy who WAS going to do some of the work - he works for an aluminum trailer place out in Acton, but he flaked...wanted to sell me labor intensive upgrades etc that I didn't need. I needed him " labor " only to get the trailer operative and usable, T & M. He tried to convince me of a huge tank that would have reduced ground clearance to about 5" and a 10.8 gal/min water pump, etc with "....if it were mine.." , anyways he is not in the picture at this point, although I will procure him for welding. he's a good welder..... Perhaps I again did not properly describe the proposed work. There ARE NO rubber "fittings" ! nor would they be considered. The " lines "/ hoses are rubber, but not their termination. Just trying to find out how they are terminated at the ends. Oh, I should have added probably low pressure factory made hoses. I just reread my posting, and I don't know what you read, but I don't see rubber fittings anywhere. but perhaps if I had used fewer words ?....better for you ?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Charlie, a 1/2" gas line sounds huge. Is this something you installed, or was it there. Could it possibly be a 3/8" line which would be closer to 1/2" outside diameter?

You can use the flex hose and connect directly into the regulator. Is this 'pipe' feeding into the trailer black pipe, or copper? If copper it will need to use a flared connector, and the end of the copper flared. If it is a pipe thread, you will have to adapt the the thread on the other end of the flex hose coming from the regulator.

Can you post a photo of what you have?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Find someone that knows what they are doing. That is by no means the proper way to install lp lines. You don't use rubber fitting anywhere. It's not your outside gas grill. How much is your life and family worth. If you have to ask, leave it to the experts.
I see Charlie did post as I was posting too. Yes the 'rubber' fittings he refers to are likely the flex hoses used for the supply.

But you are absolutely correct, that getting an expert to do the work might be advisable. While many here could handle the work with no problem, we are not on site to see exactly what is needed. Any plumber with a gas ticket could likely be of help with this if no RV shop is handy. Unless you are confident in doing this kind of work, you should not mess with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You said you won't use flair fittings. Guess what, that's what you use.
See if you can't find someone to help you with the project that knows what they are doing.
I don't think anyone is going to help you blow yourself up.
You don't use the same copper that you use for running water lines, FYI
Check with your local lp gas supplier, they will have someone that runs lines for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
propane