Propane lines - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Just check the Beaten Burro in the shop this weekend and noticed the propane tank that was full when I parked it is now empty.
After I purchased the Burro in Aug of 2003 I almost burned it to the ground along with me and the shop and street rod.

Working on the gas lines I could not find a leak, but it was leaking badly.

I gave in and brought it to a shop and had them fix it for $200 later.

Short story it uses more propane than it should, and looking at their workmanship I am going to have to redo it. One copper line has so many kinks in it I'm supprised it holds gas at all. So now I am going to have to redo all of the lines.

Too bad with this mild winter I would have liked to winter camp..

So If your rig seem to use more propane than it should please check your lines yourself.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're losing propane with the tank turned off? At least I hope you store the trailer that way. There shouldn't be ANY lines with kinks, but that in itself won't cause a leak. First thing is to check all the connections, Then the lines with connections in them.

You can buy a leak sniffer...I think I've seen them at Home Depot, but certainly at any Bar-b-que/Gas Fireplace retail store.

For lines outside the trailer, spray soapy water on the connection/line..if it bubbles you've got a leak.

Just be VERY, VERY careful please, especially inside the trailer, propane leaks and RVs are among the most scary!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Use Tinker Can Blue #10 on all connections. That is the stuff the gas company uses to seal connections.

There is a special pressure gauge that the gas people use to test for leaks. They pressurize the line then check back in a day or so. Being that you do not have one of these you may want a gasman to check it after you are done or let me know because I think we have one at the pawnshop.

One last thing. There is a rubber coated gas line that the gas people use when they direct burry. That would be great for all your exposed undercarriage areas.

I sure hope you have a gas detector inside your rig just incase an appliance is what's leaking.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
You had all your propane lines professionally done and you got it back with kinks? Think I would want my money back.

After replacing bad propane lines in mine and adding new stove, changing a few connections, I left my tank open over night. Next morning the distictive gas smell told me there was still a leak someplace. Immediately shut tank off and opened all windows for the day. Then turned propane back on and brushed diluted liquid dishwashing soap onto all the fixtures. Big bubbles quickly isolated my leak. It was a poorly seated flange connection to the stove.

After thinking about what I done I realized how dumb it was. I mean leaving the tank on overnight. The spark from an electric switch could have made Burro go BOOM!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote