propane problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
*grumbles * So I am going camping and I needed to check to see if everything is working cause were going "boondocking" I took out the stove so I could install a shelf and then put it back together....so I turned on the stove it ran for awhile then I went to test the fridge on propane. Got it working and then as I was sitting there I heard a small click and it shut off. I could not get it started again....the stove was still running so I thought i would try the furnace....nothing could not get it working * shakes fist* ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh what do I do from here?
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
*grumbles * So I am going camping and I needed to check to see if everything is working cause were going "boondocking" I took out the stove so I could install a shelf and then put it back together....so I turned on the stove it ran for awhile then I went to test the fridge on propane. Got it working and then as I was sitting there I heard a small click and it shut off. I could not get it started again....the stove was still running so I thought i would try the furnace....nothing could not get it working * shakes fist* ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh what do I do from here?
Is there a chance that a chunk of foreign matter may have gotten into the line??? Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
If the stove is not working carefully disconnect the propane line at the stove and see if propane is coming out to there. If not maybe the regulator went bad....... switch your regulator over to the other tank and see what happens.....If you did this already I'm sorry
Years back i took the carbeurator off my car because it wasn't getting any gasoline into the cylinders.. to my dismay the gas tank was empty but gauge showed i had gas
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #4

Okay I'm kinda slow here....stove works and was working as the fridge went *poof* semi technical wording I know. Where is this regulator that you speak of?....i did just refil the tank yesterday.

Quote:
carefully disconnect the propane line at the stove and see if propane is coming out to there. If not maybe the regulator went bad....... switch your regulator over to the other tank and see what happens.....If you did this already I'm sorry
Years back i took the carbeurator off my car because it wasn't getting any gasoline.. to my dismay the gas tank was empty but gauge showed i had gas
Joe
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
the regulator is up front next to the propane tanks...... (hoses from the tanks go to it) you could crack open one of the lines on the "Out" of the regulator and see if propane is coming out there.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
and see if propane is coming out there.
I'm no expert - but isn't there a better/safer way to do this than leaving a line open while opening the valve and blowing propane all over the place? I'd imagine that if you open the valve (usually outside) there could be a fair amount of gas inside by the time you run back in to "smell it out". My own advice as newbie to newbie would be to either take it to a pro, or test the lines with air or something, with the propane tank closed. Does that make any sense?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

don't write me off as a casualty yet...I know not to mess to much with the propane...just trying to do a little problem solving .....

Quote:
I'm no expert - but isn't there a better/safer way to do this than leaving a line open while opening the valve and blowing propane all over the place? I'd imagine that if you open the valve (usually outside) there could be a fair amount of gas inside by the time you run back in to "smell it out". My own advice as newbie to newbie would be to either take it to a pro, or test the lines with air or something, with the propane tank closed. Does that make any sense?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

Okay problem solved appareantly the propane gods love cursing, and lots of it. I "re-leveled" the fridge because the nasty fridge unleveling gnomes must have crawled around to play yet another trick on me, promised my secondborn child to the trailer Gods (jokes on them I'm done having children) cursed like a trucker, and sat for 20 minutes fiddling, begging, pleading, rocks digging into my lower half becasue I was to darned determined to get this going and VIOLA the trailers/propane gods took pity on me. Now to see if it stays going.....and for those of you who might have secretly wished I kicked the bucket so they could gain access to my Scamp all I can say is not this weeek my friends...
Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Now that I think of it, I've had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be the flexible hose hookup between the propane tank and the copper lines that had gunked-up over the years. Happened right after putting a fresh tank, too. So I guess it could be that some sort of gunk bubble has oozed its way down one of your lines and started messing with you so you can practice your cussing.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #10

ahh the elusive gunk bubble....problem solved for now...

Quote:
Now that I think of it, I've had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be the flexible hose hookup between the propane tank and the copper lines that had gunked-up over the years. Happened right after putting a fresh tank, too. So I guess it could be that some sort of gunk bubble has oozed its way down one of your lines and started messing with you so you can practice your cussing.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
same happened to me... I was turning the tank on too fast. open the valve slooooowly. seems to be a safety feature?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
ahh the elusive gunk bubble....problem solved for now...
We had a propane leak at Ft.Langley. when I got home I found the copper line from the regulator to the copper supply line under the trailer had a small leak. I replace it with a stainless steel flex line made fro propane and natural gas. I replaced the propane tanks with new ones. that fixed the leaks.

Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I have noticed also that if you open the new style tanks too fast they sort of shut down.
An anti leak feature I guess. Happens with the grill on the deck all the time.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane