Propane questions..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
According to Blue Rhinos website they still exchange the old style tanks. If you are looking to exchange for a tank you want to keep and get refilled try to get one that is dated in the last couple years. Blue Rhino updates the inspection dates as necessary. I go to my local transfer station (dump) once a week and am surprised at the number of 20 lb tanks there, don't understand why they don't get traded in. Some of my tanks I get filled at my local Agway, some I exchange. Refill may be cheaper.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here in Canada when you go to refill a tank they will check the date stamp on the collar if its more than 10 years old they will not fill it.
I thought it was 12 years, maybe different in Canada. I exchange any old (or rusty and beat up) ones and refill the new ones, if possible. I have seen refill prices as low as $12 to $14, but also up to $22, exchanges usually $22 or so.
I would recommend replacing the old external lines and and regulator with one that allows switching between tanks seamlessly.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Paul, I believe you're right on the 12 year inspection period, but that's only from when the tank is new. After that date the next inspection period is shorter, I can't remember how long, may be 7 years. I should know this, but it's been over 20 years since I worked for a propane supplier so don't remember all the specifics.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
The re-certification is for 5 years at a time. Google is our friend.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When changing hoses - You should use a thread sealer on the connections. They sell this stuff in the pluming section at Lowes and Home Depot. It will say on the small plastic container for GAS and list other applications as we'll.

Be careful with this stuff and don,t let any get on the inside of the connector where it would get inside of the hose.

They also sell a Teflon tape made for Gas lines. It is usually in a yellow container and also yellow in color.

Be sure to use soapy water to check for leaks when finished. Dish washing soap works really well. If there is even the smallest of leak, you will see bubles.

Tags
propane