Propane detector keeps beeping! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Ohio
Propane detector keeps beeping!

We just bought the Escape 5.0 this December in Texas and brought it home to Ohio (where it experienced its first winter weather). In April, after plugging in the camper, the propane regulator (alarm) starting beeping loudly.

We took it to a dealer to de- winterize it and check for leaks. No leaks. Regulator started beeping after we brought it home and plugged it back in. Escape recommended replacing the regulator. Bought an $80 new one and replaced the old one.

It was about this time my husband found a scented jar candle (with a lid) in the cupboard above the regulator. He removed it, and decided that had been the culprit all along. HOWEVER - after having the camper plugged in for a couple of weeks, the new regulator has started going off (beeping to beat the band)!!!
My husband has now disconnected the wires to shut it off...

HELP!!!

( I have also posted on the Escape Forum in a desperate attempt to get help)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
It almost sounds like a leak somewhere on the line. Check all the connections.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Clean it, like with a vacuum.

Mine gets set off from the batteries under the dinette.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Have you tried shutting off the propane at the source to ensure there isn't a leak?

EDIT: I.e., check whether the alarm stops sounding off once the propane has been shut off.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Propane regulator alarm.
Are you talking about a propane gas alarm that runs off the 12Volt system or are you talking about the propane regulator that is in the gas line next to the propane bottle?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I suggest you read your LP detector's manual. The beeping for LP detection is not the same as the "end of life" or "alarm malfunction" beeps.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On the Casita Facebook group, it's been mentioned when the trailer battery(ies) get low, it will set off the propane alarm. Seems strange, but that's what's being discussed.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you don't use or need propane , then just shut off the propane tanks , remove the tanks & associated gas piping & plug same and disconnect the propane alarm . Problem solved permanently.
Scented soybean candles ( especially pine and bayberry) and dog methane have been known to set off propane alarms .
Old 05-26-2017, 04:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Do have an oven in the camper? If you do is it electric ignition of a standing pilot?
Friend of mine has one and never lit the standing pilot in the oven and always had gas leaking out.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #10

Ohio
This is the regulator under the dining seat, run by 12V.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #11

Ohio
We were told that as well...so had the dealer check the battery. It is fine. The alarm seems to go off once the batteries are fully charged.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sorry if I missed this but have you had the propane system checked by a technician? They will test for leaks by making sure it holds pressure. Finding a a leak with soapy solution is hit or miss so a professional inspection is appropriate, especially if the alarm keeps going off.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1 copy.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
All good suggestions, but the OPs problem is a result of the propane detector being installed in close proximity to the battery box in the Escape 5.0, which even though vented to the outside will leak minute amounts of hydrogen if the top of the box is not tightly clamped down and the battery is being charged by the converter. Of this, I am 99% certain because I dealt with this problem and know other individuals who also did.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

Gordon, Thanks for your pictures. I hope she looks at them and clarifies which one she is talking about.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Sorry if I missed this but have you had the propane system checked by a technician? They will test for leaks by making sure it holds pressure. Finding a a leak with soapy solution is hit or miss so a professional inspection is appropriate, especially if the alarm keeps going off.
Great pictures. They should help her a lot. It could also be a carbon monoxide detector. We have one in our Casita that went off after a few hours when the door was closed. We disconnected it and bought a portable one and hung in up higher. No more problem. She might not know if it is a carbon monoxide or propane detector. I haven't seen very many rigs with propane detectors in them.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #16

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Great pictures. They should help her a lot. It could also be a carbon monoxide detector. We have one in our Casita that went off after a few hours when the door was closed. We disconnected it and bought a portable one and hung in up higher. No more problem. She might not know if it is a carbon monoxide or propane detector. I haven't seen very many rigs with propane detectors in them.
Escape installs both.....
Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Gordon, Thanks for your pictures. I hope she looks at them and clarifies which one she is talking about.
And I hope its not the third picture! LOL..

Sounds like Carl has identified the problem. I wonder what the best solution is however. Having a Lead Acid battery in the living quarters makes me nervous, and if the storage box is leaking enough gas to set off the alarm, even more so
Old 05-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
... I haven't seen very many rigs with propane detectors in them.
True and that is not good. It was one of the first add-ons I did when I got my Scamp, which came with a carbon monoxide alarm but no smoke or propane detector / alarm. I only wish there was some (practical) way for the alarms to remote notify me if I am not in the camper, but at least they will wake me if they go off.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #19

Several years ago in the county where we live, the mother got up, went to light the cook top and the camper blew up with her, husband and child inside. They were burned really bad but survived. NOTE: The STINK in propane goes away after so e time and especially on a very slow leak and that is the speculation in this case. The smart thing to do is: Have a smoke, Monoxide and Propane alarm in your camper.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #20

Florida
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Several years ago in the county where we live, the mother got up, went to light the cook top and the camper blew up with her, husband and child inside. They were burned really bad but survived. NOTE: The STINK in propane goes away after so e time and especially on a very slow leak and that is the speculation in this case. The smart thing to do is: Have a smoke, Monoxide and Propane alarm in your camper.
Spot on, Darwin!
Closed Thread

Tags
propane