propane smell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I had both my tanks refilled but one isnt working.... after the water is in the tank I turned on the left tank.... nada... wont lite the hotwater pilot ight . so I switch over to the right tank... poof.. it lights.... ok..
Now I get whiffs of propane from the tank that doesnt work... smells like its from the regulator and the tank is off?? I guess I may need to replace both regulators and fittings?? i used the soap method when i hooked them back up and saw no bubbles..
the smell is only when the right tank is on...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Regulators don't have an infinite lifespan. If you have concerns, you should have it checked by someone qualified to do so. Propane stuff is not really DIY.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Christi V,
Have you tried swapping the tanks, left for right? The left tank valve may be defective.
Do they both feel about the same weight? The inoperable tank might not have any gas. It's possible the second tank didn't actually get filled, or they grabbed an empty tank from the rack if you exchanged tanks.
Did you use soap on the rubber hoses? Soap the whole system that is accessible, the entire regulator, valves, etc. Don't forget to test with the valves open so the system is pressurized. For example, I once found a leak in the middle of a brand new, 10' piece of gas pipe. That was after replacing all 12 fittings four times, pressurizing the system then watching the gauge slowly drop to zero each time. This was to be enclosed behind drywall, so the leak had to be found!
Suggestion.... besure to rinse well because the soap solution is corrosive over a period of time, rust will form and copper or brass turns green. A spray bottle filled with water helps to rinse under and back-sides of things.

Eventually you will figure it out! In the meantime, I empathize with your frustration.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
Christi V,
Have you tried swapping the tanks, left for right? The left tank valve may be defective.
Do they both feel about the same weight? The inoperable tank might not have any gas. It's possible the second tank didn't actually get filled, or they grabbed an empty tank from the rack if you exchanged tanks.
Did you use soap on the rubber hoses? Soap the whole system that is accessible, the entire regulator, valves, etc. Don't forget to test with the valves open so the system is pressurized. For example, I once found a leak in the middle of a brand new, 10' piece of gas pipe. That was after replacing all 12 fittings four times, pressurizing the system then watching the gauge slowly drop to zero each time. This was to be enclosed behind drywall, so the leak had to be found!
Suggestion.... besure to rinse well because the soap solution is corrosive over a period of time, rust will form and copper or brass turns green. A spray bottle filled with water helps to rinse under and back-sides of things.

Eventually you will figure it out! In the meantime, I empathize with your frustration.

Kurt & Ann K.
I just had the tanks refilled( Only halfway) but the left one is not working as I turned it on and couldnt light the pilot light.... I plan on taking it in and having the fittings replaced and the rubber hoses too...
yes i used soap after i had hooked them back up..no leakes.. it seems to only smell when the right tank is on... i dont want to mess with gas... POOF isnt good....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I may be the burner didn't light immediately because the gas lines were full of air and it took a while to purge it and get gas. By the time you tried the other tank maybe all the air was purged out.
danny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
you can do a leak down check with a nanometer
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Make your own manometer:

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html