Propane Tank Restrictions in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We are taking a short trip to South Baymouth, Ontario in a couple weeks. To use the ferry between South Baymouth and Bruce Peninsula, it says that a propane tank must be "closed and tagged." What does it mean to have it tagged? I know our propane tank has been on the trailer for 3 years (only used a small bit) and there isn't a tag on it of any kind.

Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I don't know Kevin. I gather you found that on this page:
http://www.chicheemaun.com/chi/english/faq.html
If so - there is a link to email them on the first line under Frequently Asked Questions

My guess would be that once the valve is closed and you put a twist tie kind of tag through the handle so it visibly shows that it is closed. I wonder if that is done on loading? It will be interesting to hear the answer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One of the BC ferry pages:
http://www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/d...rous_cargo.html
Says -
Propane: Propane valves must be closed and sealed with the tags issued at the ticket booth, and the cylinders must be upright and firmly secured, to prevent tipping.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
whenever we ride the ferry - which is every time we use our trailer - we are required to fasten a red paper strip over the shutoff to assure ferry workers the valve is closed. No big deal and BC Ferries, at least, provides the strips.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Thanks everyone! This makes a lot of sense if the ferry companies provide the tag. We'll be camping for 3 days near the ferry launch point before we use it, so I'll double-check with them prior to the trip.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone! This makes a lot of sense if the ferry companies provide the tag. We'll be camping for 3 days near the ferry launch point before we use it, so I'll double-check with them prior to the trip.
They probably do this because if your tank was open and a hose or fitting leaked it could cause potentially dangerous consequences because propane is heavier than air and will pool or collect at the lowest point on the boat where a spark could cause an explosion. So they most likely take propane cylinders very seriously.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane