Propane usage (T off the trailer tank or take a spare tank) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Propane usage (T off the trailer tank or take a spare tank)

So I typically take a propane Coleman stove and lantern with me when I go camping. Since buying our Uhaul I was happy to see it had a stove inside but I plan to cook on the portable stove outside unless it's raining. Usually when I go camping with the family I take a 20lb tank and have one of those 'trees' that let me hook the portable grill and put my lantern on the top.

Now the Uhaul has a tank on the tongue tied to the heater and the inside stove. I know popups have external connections for their indoor/outdoor stoves. I thought maybe I shouldn't carry two tanks since one's already there's one on the tongue. Might lighten the load a bit. On the other hand, I lose some mobility/flexibility with how I setup my camp since I'd have to be tied to trailer.

So I'm wondering if anyone has put a T connector on their propane tank or otherwise rigged up a connection for external devices? If so, have you found it useful or am I better off just carrying an extra tank so that I have the mobility to setup the stove anywhere?
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Your outside stove uses high pressure gas. You can get a T fitting between the tank and regulator with a quick-release fitting. Then your stove in the trailer will still work. You can get an extension hose to go from the T fitting to the portable stove and lamp. Most RV stores have what you need, as well as farm stores and some of the big box stores.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've used a T fitting on the trailer tank. You're just limited by the length of the hose you connect to it. I also have a few of the smaller propane tanks, between 9 & 11 pounders. Actually the official name is propane cylinder. They fit nice into a plastic milk crate. Although they are smaller than the 20 pound tanks, their price is much more than a 20. I was lucky and got 3 for free from one of the tank exchange companies because they don't want them. Some places that refill the tanks don't know how to charge for doing it, as in they can't do simple math. I tell them just charge me the 20 lb rate. The small tanks can be hard to find though. Manchester Tank makes the small propane cylinders, but I don't think you can buy directly from them. On their website they list dealers, like Cabelas, Tractor Supply, and I've seen the small tanks at a Gander Mountain store.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I like to use the hoses as opposed to tanks, as they store out of the way when not in use much better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
The T fitting looks like this.

They are available on line and at trailer supply stores.

You can then buy the hoses in various lengths that will attach to the fitting and to your appliances that are set up for the one pound cans. The fittings for me are quite useful. As Jim said, it is easier to store hoses than an extra 20lb cylinder.

Hope this helps

Spanke
Attached Thumbnails
P1050028.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
thanks guys. so it looks like most of you do use T adapters on your existing tanks.

Dennis, thanks for pointing out the HP vs LP. I hadn't thought of that.

Bob, I've never seen those size refillable tanks before. We just have the 1lb bottles that most folks discard when done. I know you can refill them. I have a couple of of those for when I go solo camping and don't want to take a 20lb tank. I'll have to see if I can track those refillable ones down somewhere around here. I didn't find them online anywhere yet. I like the idea of having one of those anyways.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

New York
Amazon has the 11 lb tanks, and there are smaller ones too. Like I said though, more expensive than a 20 lb tank that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I've seen some that are about 5lb. Try cabelas.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

New York
Update on the smaller tanks, I did a search on Cabelas site for "propane cylinder" and found a couple made by Worthington, 5lb is 63.99, 11lb is 69.99, 20lb is 39.99. Apparently because the smaller tanks are less popular the price is higher. At the place where you get your tanks filled they are supposed to check the date stamped on the tank, I think the first inspection is due after 12 years. I should know as I once did that work but it's been a long time. My solution is to own a set of number stamps.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Manchester even makes 1lb refillables. I think you have to use their filling hose and a tank with a liquid draw port, like the forklift tanks.
Manchester Tank: 1# Refillable Cylinders
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #10

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
We bought a Marshall Excelsior Flow-Longer LP-Gas Line Tap Kit www.marshallexcelsior.com It contains one ME415 brass tee and MER421-144 Thermo Pictail 12' (144") high pressure appliance hose.

Regarding the one pound cylinders...has anyone tried the MacCoupler Home to fill one pound propane cylinders from 20 to 40 pound propane tanks?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i wonder why they don't use a chassis mounted tank like i had in my motorhome? has to be a reason .
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
So I typically take a propane Coleman stove and lantern with me when I go camping. Since buying our Uhaul I was happy to see it had a stove inside but I plan to cook on the portable stove outside unless it's raining. Usually when I go camping with the family I take a 20lb tank and have one of those 'trees' that let me hook the portable grill and put my lantern on the top.

Now the Uhaul has a tank on the tongue tied to the heater and the inside stove. I know popups have external connections for their indoor/outdoor stoves. I thought maybe I shouldn't carry two tanks since one's already there's one on the tongue. Might lighten the load a bit. On the other hand, I lose some mobility/flexibility with how I setup my camp since I'd have to be tied to trailer.

So I'm wondering if anyone has put a T connector on their propane tank or otherwise rigged up a connection for external devices? If so, have you found it useful or am I better off just carrying an extra tank so that I have the mobility to setup the stove anywhere?
Sean,
Have you considered simply using disposable .9lb canisters.
Many years ago I carried a 20 lb cylinder to use for cooking and lantern while camping. Fill it once every 2 or 3 years. To me it became a lot less hassal to use the disposable, and not that much more expensive considering how much that camp stove will be used and how much propane is used.
As far as lanterns go the newer battery powered lanterns work easier and whole lot less dangerous.
Another thing you might consider planning meals that require less cooking.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Regarding the one pound cylinders...has anyone tried the MacCoupler Home to fill one pound propane cylinders from 20 to 40 pound propane tanks?
I have not used that product, but, I refill my disposable 1lb. cylinders using the improved device shown on this web site.

Throw-Away propane Tank Refiller

It really is quite simple and it really works well!

Spanke
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thank you David (Spanke). I saved the instructions as even if we go with the Cabellas version the filling instructions are great to have.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane