Pulling a fiberglass trailer in temps below freezing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Thumbs up

I'm in the process of working out a deal for a fiberglass trailer with a guy a few hundred miles away. But it's cold here in the upper Midwest and I'd be picking up the trailer in the next week or two, most likely on really cold day.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Is the fiberglass vulnerable to cracking in temperatures below freezing?

Are there any other reasons I should wait until warmer weather?

Advice would be appreciated, thanx.
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I had some worries about this as well, see:Fibreglass at 40 below My only input is that things that flex at normal temperatures may not when it is cold.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Don't put anything in the trailer that is temp sensitive like liquids etc. Leave your tanks empty until you get down south. I go camping when it is 0 deg F and have not had a problem. My dad drove truck for 40 years and his fiberglass truck hood and air dam never broke due to cold.
Go camping, have fun.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would not even worry about it.Up here it gets very cold and all kinds of vehicals with Fiberglass toppers and truck mounted first aid posts are in use all year round.I also have pulled my Boler in freezing cold weather.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
I would not even worry about it.Up here it gets very cold and all kinds of vehicals with Fiberglass toppers and truck mounted first aid posts are in use all year round.I also have pulled my Boler in freezing cold weather.
Thanx, Chester... that's what I was hoping to hear.

I'll be picking this trailer up "dry", as it hasn't even been moved for a few years.

I'm probably going to replace the tires and bearings since it's going to be a trip over 300 miles back home with it. I don't trust tires that have been sitting in the same spot for 3 years and the same goes for the wheel bearings. The present owner said he'd help me change the bearings and tires before I go, so I might as well play it safe and do it.... knowhutamean?
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just remember that if you're towing on snow or ice that the tire contact-patch friction you depend on to keep the trailer behind you as you brake or change directions will be either greatly reduced, or won't be there at all. Slow and easy are the watch-words in reduced traction towing.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Buck62,
As Roger says, slow and easy. Also no sudden moves because once the trailer has started sideways the only way to correct it is to accelerate
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote