Putting on an RV cover w/o a divorce - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking Putting on an RV cover w/o a divorce

and w/o having to get on top of the RV!!!
We used this guy's video ideas, but with some mods as we have a Casita 17'

1. we didn't have a fancy "hook-stick" like the guy in the video, so we use a 3' piece of 1" PVC pipe..
2. we had some trouble keeping the rolled-up cover going straight, so NEXT TIME we will A. roll it tighter and B. use two ropes separated by at least 18" so we can keep it rolling STRAIGHT.....over the fan hood and AC unit..

3. next time we will secure the "roll" tip end to the front of the roof area (maybe w bungee cords) b4 trying to roll it backwards, to avoid having to rush back and grab the front tip of the unrolled cover... as it slides inexoribly towards the rear or even OFF.. of the roof ;-) Don't ask.

4. we found that two folks were better that one, and 3 wd be even better oh well...there r 2 of us.

5, we found that an old worn out broom makes a decent "pusher' to help keep that pesky roll alligned..and to LIFT that pesky rope back onto the top of the AC unit....the handle of that old broom gives you better "reach" and the broom end catches the rope and you can lift it back in place, etc etc.

6. while experimenting, we found a mud dauber nest up under the edge of the AC..so we cleared that mess up too.

Anyways, we got it done A. w/o getting on top of our TT and B. we did it in a reasonable time & C. w/o a fight!! ;-) Hint..if you have friend who playes in the NBA, call him first for help!!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Loved the title of this topic!! That title could ALSO be applied to BACKING a trailer.

I had a "cover" to use on my small bought-new in 2010 13' Scamp when we first bought it. The wife and I used a broom/mop handle each to go under it, lift it up and walk from one end to the other while pulling the cover on which worked very well. BUT, it was a very light-weight cover that didnt last but going into the second year before tears started coming into it.... awful!

I declared then (we covered it after every trip!) that either I was going to put a carport up to back it under or I was selling it! That fall, I had a carport put up to just back it under each time. I realize some "codes" wont allow it. If our codes changed and I had to go back to a cover, I would sell my Scamp. I wont let it set out in the open without SOME kind of protection.

But that's just me (AND the wife agrees!). 8+ yrs with the Scamp now and all the "rubber" around the windows/doors, the decals, wiring etc still looks new.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Funny title! My girlfriend and I got into a tussel putting the Calmark cover back on our Casita recently. Fortunately we are still together, but it was touch and go for a few moments.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our marriage is as old as Peanut, both forged in 1973...but I gotta say, there are some aspects to life that try any relationship. I hear building a house is another like putting on an RV cover...or setting up a large tent that needs poles and guy wires...or, apparently, tearing apart and folding 100 slithery plastic garbage bags and tucking them "neatly" into a slide-lock baggie...Hmmm!

BEST
Kai