Putting shelves in closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Putting shelves in closet

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 13' Boler last fall and am now starting my interior reno. Yeah!!!
There were rusty wire shelves installed in my closet that I've removed and I hope to put in wood (or something like) shelves. After filling what seemed like a thousand rivet and bolt holes I am reluctant to drill more so I'm looking for a way to put in shelf supports without doing that.

Does anyone know if it's feasible to glue shelf support to the fiberglass inside the closet? Would this be strong enough? I'm not planning on putting terribly heavy things on the shelves. I was thinking more of towels, clothes, and small household items.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good adhesive to do this? Anyone done something like this with their little beauty?
firiel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Karen, I used 4 stainless shelf brackets thingies that look like ladders and come with tabs that can be adjusted from Home Depot.
Cut them to fit the height of closet then made sure that when tabs were level when inserted in the same slots, make sure your trailer is level too.
I marked 4 holes per bracket then drilled the side of closet walls, 2 toward the front and 2 toward the back and them used a pop rivet from the outside so when it was installed you just saw the head of a rivet.
For shelve I used 5/8 particle board and glued and nailed a 1 inch lip to the front of it so things would stay in place.
I now have 3 shelve and the odd space at the bottom for things like grill utensils and stuff.
Good Luck
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We used cloth hanging shelves from WalMart. It hangs on the clothes hanger rod in the Scamp closet. The also had a smaller compartment one probably designed for shoes, but we rolled up our clothes, socks, etc. to fill all the compartments. Worked very well and rarely lost anything to the floor.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
From experience, have the shelves lean a bit away from the door.
That way anything that moves will move away from the door and not fall
on the floor when you open it.
I cut shelves to fit the closet snug, then stacked them on pieces of 1x4. I used a bit of construction glue,, pl400 to hold them against the wall.
Drilled 1/4 inch holes in the 1x4 close to the closet door and installed 1/4 inch wood dowel as a bit of a fence. have been very effective for many miles/years.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another light weight easy to work with is using 3/4 PVC for supports and cross pieces and then using Masonite or 1/4 or 3/8 plywood for shelves
I did that in one of my trailers, but what I liked best was using vinyl covered closet shelving cut to fit (purchased at Lowe's/home depot etc)
I made a PVC frame and set w/ small tie wraps
the shelving upside down so there was a vertical lip in front to keep things in place
Inexpensive and easy to change or modify any time in fact it fit so tightly I didn't even glue the PVC together
Whatever you decide to do post some pics as this is a common issue
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Karen,
I too was reluctant to drill more holes. I used four 1"x2" vertical strips of pine to which I screwed the thin metal "ladder" shelf brackets from home depot. Small clips fit in the brackets to hold the shelves (cut from 1/8 luan sealed with polyurathane). The verticals sit on bottom of the closet and the shelves are cut with notches for the vertical 1x2 and thus hold them from shifting. So it all holds together without glue or fasteners. We use it for our pantry so a fair amount of weight involved. We've put many miles on our scamp with this arrangement and have had no problems with it shifting. The scamp is under a bit of snow right now but I can probably get a few pics if that would be helpful to you.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In lieu of shelves, here is the lightweight, no holes/no glue solution I came up with. It is stabilized with a curtain tension rod across the back at the wider part of the closet. The bins snap together so they cannot separate while towing. It has worked perfectly for three seasons.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet Mod 5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	102524
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We use the same type of thing as Jon. Lightweight, stable, no holes and things don't fall out of the closet
Click image for larger version

Name:	December Phone Pics 086.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	102536

(You can also see that this is where we store our bunk rail, the white pvc thing, and our bunk supports )
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've received some great ideas for making shelves. My husband built our shelves with a free-standing frame that is set up in the closet. He is a master carpenter and did a great job. The bottom shelf is removable so we can use the wheel well for storage and laundry. For extra storage I put up custom hanging two-sided shoe pockets. It wraps over the top of the cabinet door and I only put lightweight things in it.

Good luck with whatever system you choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 050.jpg   Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 049.jpg  

Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 048.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:19 AM   #10

Name: Karen
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions. Once I'm done painting I will check out the hardware stores in town to see what's available.
firiel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #11

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I pretty much did what Fred did. But we also wanted to hang clothes, so our shelves are L shaped, with the opening in the front of the door from top to bottom. The hardest part was determining the radius of each shelf, which my wife accomplished and I then cut and fit. I also used a long pole and attached each shelf to it, as well as a couple of braces, ala Fred.

I am not a wood worker. A friend of mine that did something similar in his Casita, and who is a very fine wood worker, sniffed in disdain at my finished product. However it works for us.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
I did the same thing with PVC pipe as legs but because ours is a Casita, the closet is curved on the road side, had to make cardboard pattern to fit then cut masonite for one shelf. I use the lower portion of the closet for clothes bag, 1 holer cook stove and other in and out of the camper quickly stuff like awning tie downs, screen around the awning, etc. Works great. We can grab a rain coat, etc, off the shelf quickly.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Garycarolyn
We have sold the scamp that i had used pvc in... and now have a 17 ' casitas.... any chance you have a pic of your shelfs as i m trying to add shelves to it and don't want to reinvent the wheel
Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following...
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Following...
me too...
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's not necessary to announce that you are following.
If you wish to follow, go to thread tools and subscribe.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
What we did with ours was put in the plastic drawers that many retailers sell. That way we could take them out, reload them at home and then just put the entire thing back in the closed. Just have to make sure the latch on the door works well in case the drawers open on a corner while driving. Here's an example. You can just used the sizes you want to suit. Oh and we built a small base so the bottom drawer cleared the front of the closet. Cheers. Gracious Living 8-Drawer White Tower | Canadian Tire
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #18

Name: Charlie & Renée
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
TimR, that's the best idea yet I've seen for Boler shelves. Thanks for sharing. Post a pic if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
van de Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Everything is removed from the trailer for the winter season but I will try to remember for Spring. I also like these drawers because they aren't as wide as the entire closet, so we can still get a few coats inside too. I should point out too, to be aware of the depth. Some are too big to fit inside. Measure twice, buy once!
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I added wooden shelves to my closet. Worked well over 25k miles.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote