Putting the truck on a diet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Putting the truck on a diet

Ever since I weighed my F150 (I got tired of saying "Oh, it weighs about...") and discovered that, with the Casita's hitch weight, I was over my GVW of 6250 I have been working at shaving pounds and ounces off her payload.

Some of the things I have done...

Replace a full size shovel and ax with a folding entrenching tool and a much smaller Hudson's Bay ax. Savings= about 6 pounds.

Lighten the toolkit. Savings= about 6 pounds.

Take less bottled water. Savings= about 24 pounds.

Remove roof rack inserts that I don't use when towing. Savings= 14 pounds.

Replace 28 pound folding table with 6 pound folder. Savings= 22 pounds.

Remove bed/shelf from front of truck-bed. Savings= 22 pounds.

I also decided to leave my bullet-proof jerry can behind and simply siphon fuel for my Coleman stove and Honda generator from the rear tank. (I've started not using the rear tank since I discovered I get an just about an extra 1 mpg for keeping it nearly empty. I'll compromise a little, since I need about 5gal in it to be able to reach petrol with the siphon.) Savings= about 12 pounds.

And so it goes.

One weight savings for my next trip I'm not so happy about. Since I'm going to be working in some pretty hot places, I've decided not to take my pal Murphy on this next trip. I'm too worried about him in really hot conditions, which he doesn't do well in. Considering him, his beds, food, toys, etc, that's a savings of about 155 pounds. But I sure will miss him and he is going to go ballistic when he learns he is not going.

At this point I've got the truck down to where when I hitch up the Casita she'll be comfortably under her GVW, and the combined truck+trailer weight will be something like 2500 pounds under the allowance.

I even considered changing out the engine for a squirrel-mill, but then I have to carry all those peanuts so the weight saved wouldn't amount to anything. And squirrels don't like hills, I hear.

Anybody got any other brilliant tips for lightening the load?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:40 AM   #2

i can tell ya about weight

I have some experience with motorcycle roadracing and can tell you about weight savings (gets real expensive with bikes but what a performance advantage!) My point is that operator weight is one of the best places to shave pounds.......have you considered this in your lightening scheme??? No offense intended, Robert!!

Of course, travel with empty tanks, incl fresh water.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 AM   #3

Murphy

>>One weight savings for my next trip I'm not so happy about. Since I'm going to be working in some pretty hot places, I've decided not to take my pal Murphy on this next trip. I'm too worried about him in really hot conditions, which he doesn't do well in. Considering him, his beds, food, toys, etc, that's a savings of about 155 pounds. But I sure will miss him and he is going to go ballistic when he learns he is not going.

Yep, that's a hard decision to make. I had to leave Rusty behind last time and it was hard on both of us, but was best for all concerned.

The heat around is can really be wicked and it's really hard on Rusty. We may have to find some cooler places to go this summer -- either that or take a lot of trips to the lake.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz
The heat around is can really be wicked and it's really hard on Rusty. We may have to find some cooler places to go this summer --.
Suz, Is Rusty the name of your tow vehicle or your pet? :lol2 :laugh

Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 AM   #5

Ouch, Phil!

You really know how to hurt a guy!

:weep

Old 05-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #6

Rusty

Nope, that's my dog. ;) I undercoat my tow vehicles.:)

Old 05-08-2003, 07:59 PM   #7

poor pup

mac is the reason i got a hardside trailer. He just looks so shell shocked when i pick him up from the kennel. yes so they have as many toys as another kid there love is endless :r