Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

Looks like a Flexiride to me.

Not a Torflex.
I accept your evaluation, as I have no experience with either manufacturer.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #44

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks Dave,

For a couple of years, I crawled under just about every egg I could find looking at axles. Scoured every post and website I could find about torsion axles before making the final decisions on my axle swap in the boler American.

I've put new Torflex with brakes and the lube fitting on both the boler American and Trillium 4500.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #45

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
So, if the OP's axle is a Flexiride, can she rotate the arm a few splines to get another season out of it?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #46

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
So, if the OP's axle is a Flexiride, can she rotate the arm a few splines to get another season out of it?
Seems risky. Like I said, I have no experience, but If the arms have already rotated 10 past where they should be, how much further can they go till they fail, possibly catastrophically. Or am I fear mongering?

I just suggested it as a way to get the trailer to the shop.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #47

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Seems risky. Like I said, I have no experience, but If the arms have already rotated 10 past where they should be, how much further can they go till they fail, possibly catastrophically. Or am I fear mongering?

Dunno. Attached is a cross section drawing - I don't see a catastrophic failure designed in, just a slow collapse of the rubber parts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Torsional axle.pdf (31.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #48

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

In all the years I have been around these axles, I have only seen one catastrophic failure. That one was a broken spindle caused by jack knifing an old Compact Jr in reverse, it had been converted to a utility trailer and was grossly overloaded and backed sideways into a curb....No one was hurt. The impact did not hurt the rest of the axle.The axle was easily 30years old.
Fear mongering would require intent...Not guilty!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #49

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Yes it is possible. IIRC the Flexiride suggested down is 24 degrees. I would think the safety factor to consider is are the arms installed as leading or trailing. I'd be reluctant to crank the arms down too far if they are leading.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #50

Alberta
Registry
What is the reason for the leading arms on a boler?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #51

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
What is the reason for the leading arms on a boler?
On the Scamp, which is very much like the Boler,the leading arm axle was placed up behind the step for the dinette. The purpose was to get the trailer low enough to fit under a 7ft garage door.
I have seen leading arms on Scamps as new as 2001, My 2004 has a trailing arm.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #52

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Shelley

I changed the location of my axle from behind the dropped floor which is a leading arm installation. The first picture is of my old Henschen 1200 lb. rated axle when it was still on the frame. I had just removed the frame from the Scamp body.

I was surprised at the low load rating of the original axle. It was bent in the middle after someone must have jacked up under it. The outside tread of the tires was wearing down faster than the middle. It did still have some movement so I used it for 10 outings last summer.

My new axle is a Flexiride with a 2000 pound load rating. I modified the frame to locate it under the dropped floor. The axle arms face towards the rear which is preferred by at least Dexter Axle as I read in discussions on this web site. It was a lot cutting, grinding, milling, drilling and welding to do this but I like it.

I really wanted the adjustability of the Flexiride axle. I'm using a starting angle of zero. I can lower the ride height a little by going to maximum of a 10 degree up starting angle according to the axle manufacturer.

It was important to me to be able to get my trailer into my garage through the 7-foot door opening and if I had to move the arms above 10 degrees up temporarily to do that I would. I am able to get the trailer in the garage at zero degrees by taking off the 13-inch tires and putting on 8-inch tires.

I have a lot of work to do on my trailer and it must be able to go into the garage. I just finished the installation of a 21 gallon grey water tank that Scamp puts under their trailers. Their web site says it is 26 gallon but the manufacturer says it is 21. It was cheaper to buy it from Scamp.

The second picture is one view of my axle installed on the frame while I was installing angle irons to bolt the grey water tank to. The frame is upside down on a rotisserie that I had made for a 1979 Mercury Capri car project. I had the car body on this rotisserie.

The third picture is of a 2005 Scamp with a Dexter which I got ideas on how to mount my axle. I believe the Dexter axle that Scamp uses on the 13-foot trailers with the trailing arm configuration is 2200 pound rating with a 22.5 degree up start angle. I think I saw a past message by Floyd with those numbers. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

It would be easier to mount a Dexter axle in the original location with leading arms. They did it for many, many years. I don't have time now to calculate what angle would give what height. It is simple trigonometry. The length of the Dexter axle arm is 6 inches from the center of the torsion bar to the center of the axle.

The same distance on a Flexiride is 4.5 inches which would move the axle back 1.5 inches and therefore the wheels would be off the center of the wheel arch on the body by 1.5 inches. It would look funny although one person has done it. I would use a Dexter in the leading arm location.

Because I relocated my axle underneath the dropped floor I was able to put the wheels in the same place where they were previously. I located them where they would be if the old axle was at zero degrees.

I need to add pictures of how I installed the new axle to a previous discussion on the Flexiride axle I was involved in but it is camping season and I need to get ready for the Scrambled Eggs meet in Mission, BC this weekend. I've been camping the last two weekends and then worked on getting the grey water tank installed in between plus the usual stuff that life requires.

I'll try to take some quick pictures to show the location of the axle now with the body on when I put the 13-inch tires back on tomorrow.

Here's a link to the the previous discussion on the Flexiride axle:

Anyone have experience with Flexride axles?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6222a.JPG   IMG_6737a.JPG  

IMG_2891a.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #53

Name: Shelley
Trailer: '73 Boler
Vanderhoof, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
I ended up buying the exact same tires as Jeff did from Specialty Tire in Winnipeg. When I got to the cabin where I store my boler I found the same problem whith the tire not fitting under the shell so I took a sawzall and trimmed up a little at a time until the tire fit underneath (I believe that was Floyds suggestion). Doesnt look the neatest right now but it works beautifully.
I contemplated that, but we'd like to keep the original look.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #54

Vanderhoof, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
Right beside the number on the tires you should see letters or a letter. R for radial, Mine say ST which is specifically for trailers, It has to do with the way the weight is distributed. Vehicles have 4 tires and most trailers only have 2 so you want a tire that can handle more if a weight load.
Yes. They are 175/80R 13ST ... or something like that.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #55

Vanderhoof, BC
Wow - you guys are fab! Ok - I'm going to have mull all this over a bit (a lot of info for my girly brain) and the other half is at band practice tonight so we'll comb through together tomorrow night and see if the two of us can make heads or tails!

Again - thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #56

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
Wow - you guys are fab! Ok - I'm going to have mull all this over a bit (a lot of info for my girly brain) and the other half is at band practice tonight so we'll comb through together tomorrow night and see if the two of us can make heads or tails!

Again - thanks!
I love this site. You definatly get lots of ideas. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Tags
tires