Putting Tires on? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #71

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Well if your where closer to the lower mainland I would suggested you take it into Escape Trailers - they have replaced axels on Bolers from our group for a lot less than that.... try ordering from Princes Auto or another auto parts shop around you. What did your husbands company say the price was?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #72

Name: Shelley
Trailer: '73 Boler
Vanderhoof, BC
I have contacted them to see if they will sell me an axle. Hopefully they will get back to me asap and agree!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #73

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
Yes, we plan to do a few tweaks and we do plan to bring the old frame in for duplication, but we need to purchase the supplies which is why I was hoping to find a general dimension schematic (of course I will check the measurements to mine too). We will have him beef up the angles set in something nice for the battery, etc. We will also have him weld on 2-3 wings for carriage bolts under each bench in the back for a more secure attachment of the shell rather than screwing into the frame. We don't have the notched front for dinette so will leave that as it is, but I did toy with the idea of adding the spare tire rack on! Our model had only 1 water tank under the curbside bench and no gray water tank ... it just ran from a hose to under the trailer it seems. We were just going to keep that configuration.

As an aside, we just have a friend building it, not a shop.
You might want to consider elevator bolts instead of carriage bolts. they have a much larger flatter head which will distribute the forces over a much larger area of the floor. available at Elevator bolts - Bolt Depot or Fastenal. SS ones are pricey and if you use with SS nuts use anti sieze on SS or you will never get them to move if you tighten them till they "gall" and sieze.
Michael J.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #74

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
I have contacted them to see if they will sell me an axle. Hopefully they will get back to me asap and agree!
I would surprised (but you never know) if they sell you just the axle as they are not a parts supplier and probable will need to order in the axle themselves.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #75

Vanderhoof, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
You might want to consider elevator bolts instead of carriage bolts. they have a much larger flatter head which will distribute the forces over a much larger area of the floor. available at Elevator bolts - Bolt Depot or Fastenal. SS ones are pricey and if you use with SS nuts use anti sieze on SS or you will never get them to move if you tighten them till they "gall" and sieze.
Michael J.
Interesting you should mention that ... I hadn't thought of a different type of bolt, but I did think it would be wise to distribute the pressure more by placing galvanized metal strips under the bolts/screws along the lengths where they attach.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #76

Vanderhoof, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would surprised (but you never know) if they sell you just the axle as they are not a parts supplier and probable will need to order in the axle themselves.
Well, I must've made just right plea because they did sell me one and it should arrive here tomorrow by courier The only drawback is that we wanted 10 degree down and he only had zero degree so it will either be original height or we'll block it up to gain a bit of extra height. The frame will be built on Saturday. We are cutting time mighty close and I have no idea if we'll be able to do body work, paint, wire the electrical, rivet everything back together, and sew cushions in time to go on vacation by the 16th ... but we're trying!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #77

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
If not, as Donna D. says: Consider it a hard tent on wheels.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #78

Vanderhoof, BC
Sigh. As usual, some mishap has intervened and now everything sits on hold. I swear the stars have it in for me. Hubby purchased all the supplies and cut it to length. We hired a welder to build the frame tomorrow because the axle was to arrive today. We mapped out exactly what we would do on which day through the rest of the week in order to hopefully meet our timeline of taking the Boler on vacay on the 16th. Well, the axle arrived this morning ... and you guessed it ... it's the wrong one. The guy at Escape had 2 in stock, 1 of which would fit, but whoever picked and shipped sent the wrong one. The guy was great to deal with and was very apologetic, since they know we were in a big hurry to get it, but that's little consolation at this point in the game They've agreed to ship the other one to us, but it won't arrive until Tuesday. We already had such a tight timeline that there is very little hope now that we will have our Boler on the road for our vacation, and I'm ridiculously disappointed over it. The difference a day can make - last night I was so hopeful and started mapping our itinerary, today I've given up. I tried so hard ... :'(

Tags
tires