Putty Tape or Silicon for under the Awning Rail? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
For those of you who have installed an awning rail before, did you use putty tape or silicon? And, how has it held up for you? I am in the process of installing mine and could use your help.

Mike
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Mike,

Don't use silicon for anything on my Scamp. Silicon is not a good sealant on fiberglass. Lots of posts on that topic.
Only use 3M marine caulk. You can get it at Wally and I think Lowes has it. There is a quick cure and a slow cure, I use the quick cure.
For the awning rail I'd definitely use the Butyl Tape.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Mike,
Between the awning case and our Casita body, a 10' piece of vinyl tubing (a little too wide for the opening) was softened in the sun and compressed. It was squeezed to fit the gap, & cut to avoid the support brackets. Once it was in place, clear caulk was then used along the top edge to provide a seal.
Without the tubing, a huge amount of caulking would be required.

Have fun,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
Mike,

Don't use silicon for anything on my Scamp. Silicon is not a good sealant on fiberglass. Lots of posts on that topic.
Only use 3M marine caulk. You can get it at Wally and I think Lowes has it. There is a quick cure and a slow cure, I use the quick cure.
For the awning rail I'd definitely use the Butyl Tape.

Thanks, I was thinking Butyl Tape. That's what I will use. I am getting very close, I have temporarily attached the ends of the awning rail so I can get a visual, I like it a lot. Here are some pics! What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1973.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	12336
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1974.JPG  
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Hi Mike,
I have installed 3 awning rails in the last couple of years. I used ProflexRv sealant by Geocel.
It not only seals it acts like a very strong glue. I have used it for 3 years now and am very satisfied with it.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The awning looks great, Mike. Perfect size for your Boler.

My PO used something like glue on the awning rail and now having to remove it, I'd shoot him if I could find him.
The Butyl Tape stays flexible and allows the rail to be removed later and cleaned up if need be without scraping some type of glue off which peels off chunks of your gel coat.

When I remove the windows to reseal that have Butyl Tape, it is a very easy clean up to get ready to re-install new tape and seal. I'm not sure about the Proflex RV, but when somebody uses the word "glue" it gives me shivers....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Hi there Mike.

Last year I got an old awning and it's rail of an old late 60's tent trailer.

I used Butyl Tape between the aluminum rail and the fiberglass body of my 74 Boler.

So far it has worked great with no leaks, and I don't anticipate any leaks in the near future. Butyl Tape stays soft and tacky forever!!!

Here is a picture of my outside light I also installed using Butyl Tape. You can see how it oozes out and provides the perfect seal.

Quote:
For those of you who have installed an awning rail before, did you use putty tape or silicon? And, how has it held up for you? I am in the process of installing mine and could use your help.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0523.JPG  
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote