?Q? for 5th Wheel Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
One of the things I'd like to do is make our Scamp 5th Wheel trailer more stable when we move about inside, and particularly when we're moving around in the loft.

I've seen these tripod stabilizer things . . .

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...96&src=SRQB

. . . under a few 5th wheels and am wondering if they really do stop the rocking and make the trailer feel like it's on solid ground.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Hi. I have owned a 5th scamp for 6 yrs or so, never had the need for front mounting weight supporting contraption, just make sure your rear stabilizers are down and raised. I let mine touch the ground, and then jack them up an inch and a half so, and you are ready...Paul from Orlando
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I was wondering about one of those Tripods and where to get them... When the dog moved about under the table there is some rocking... I may not have my back stabilizers 'solid' but one of those tripods might help.

Peterh; did you get the inside all done?? pics would be nice, so we can all drool over the mods!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Peterh; did you get the inside all done?? pics would be nice, so we can all drool over the mods!!
Work on the Scamp has been back-burnered for a little while, so other than padding and carpeting the steps up to the loft our 5er still looks like this, but I did come home with some new trim today, so I'll be back at it soon now. The next bits to go in will be the storage under the three loft steps and a hang space closet on the loft platform at the foot of the bed and just forward of the bathroom.

The next thing in queue is to get the 45w solar panel we bought permanently affixed to the roof. I have some dry camping coming up in early July, and want juice for our lights and Fantastic Fan to run on!

The weekend after that is the gathering at Bullard's Beach. It'd be real nice if I had the loft overhead cabinets done by then, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I'll post pictures as things move along!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Peter,

We've never felt the need for a tripod. If the back end is stabilized properly, we've had no movement problems, even in high winds.

Good luck on your project.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On some fifth wheels where the cab-over weighs more than your entire trailer, the tripod/bipod things are necessary. You, however, should be able to stabilize yours with the four jacks provided. There just isn't enough weight cantilevered out there to make the tripod/bipod necessary. If you're using your stabilizer jacks in soft ground, I've found that wood blocks or those plastic lego leveling blocks provide a much better base.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Pat and I use a tripod thingy...We have legs in front but no rear stabilizers so the tripod does help us to be more secure. Besides, we're still young and in love.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote