Quantum 5 by Contempo questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel (by Contempo)
So, from reading archived posts, I found that they were made from 1979-81, and anywhere from 15 to 500 were made, total.

According to the build tag, I've got #25. It tows amazing behind our Comanche, and soon to be behind a 98 Dakota 2wd (upgraded from a 4.0 I6 to a 5.2 V8)

I am looking for more info! This board has what appears to be the only people on the net that knows anything about these.

Also.. I know there used to be 2 or 3 people passing one of these around. Are these people still on the board?
Merlin Klotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I think it is Hershal Byrd that is the resident guru on the Quantum 5.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...?showuser=3958
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

I hoped some of the prior owners were still on here somewhere.

Being new to the board, I ill see what I can do to get some pics posted up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00131.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	8_29_09_camera_dump_290.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	29615

Given the rarity of these, is it better to leave stock (in all their malaise glory) or are they worth more if they are renovated to look and feel like new?
Attached Thumbnails
8_29_09_camera_dump_291.jpg   8_29_09_camera_dump_292.jpg  

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
That's very nice; how about some interior shots?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
That's very nice; how about some interior shots?

attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00125small.jpg   IMG00126small.jpg  

IMG00127small.jpg   IMG00128small.jpg  

IMG00129small.jpg   8_29_09_camera_dump_293small.jpg  

8_29_09_camera_dump_294small.jpg   8_29_09_camera_dump_296small.jpg  

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
... is it better to leave stock ([b]in all their malaise glory) or are they worth more if they are renovated to look and feel like new?
Malaise?
I find it to be better to make sure that all of the equipment it has is fully functional and that everything is CLEAN! Renovations are subjective. Many people dislike modification efforts beyond functionality. Decorate to your own tastes for your own use. If and when you sell, the new owners will do it over; keep that in mind when justifying expense. Your photos look like a good serviceable unit.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Attachment 29617

Given the rarity of these, is it better to leave stock (in all their malaise glory) or are they worth more if they are renovated to look and feel like new?
Looks to me like somebody has already done a major mod on the rear bumper with the box. The interior is one of the nicest I've seen.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
It's unlikely you're going to find a 'collector' willing to pay a premium for a 'factory original' unit; possible but very unlikely. Assume you'll keep it for awhile and do what you need to do to make it functional and comfortable for you. The market place can be a fickle beast. Manufacturer's try to build for the masses and provide what they think most people will want. If you stray from that logic and change too much you may not end up with what other's will want if/when you offer it for sale. Adding features that would normally be considered optional upgrades, not originally included in your unit, is probably safe.
It looks as though you have a great unit. Enjoy!
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
It's unlikely you're going to find a 'collector' willing to pay a premium for a 'factory original' unit; possible but very unlikely. Assume you'll keep it for awhile and do what you need to do to make it functional and comfortable for you. The market place can be a fickle beast. Manufacturer's try to build for the masses and provide what they think most people will want. If you stray from that logic and change too much you may not end up with what other's will want if/when you offer it for sale. Adding features that would normally be considered optional upgrades, not originally included in your unit, is probably safe.
It looks as though you have a great unit. Enjoy!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. To be perfectly honest, the reason I went searching for information on these to begin with was that I was contemplating selling it and wanted to see what the market rate is for the unit. Now that I see its somewhat of a rarity, I am on the fence as whether to keep it as-is, renovate/upgrade, or sell.

We have had it for several years now, and it has only been out a half dozen times while we have had it. Based on the cost of storage versus the minimal use, I thin I am leaning towards selling to someone who will use and appreciate it far more than we do.

Any ideas/estimates on how much the Quantum is worth? We bought it as a combo with the truck a few years ago, and the truck alone is worth ~$3k. Would we be better off selling as a combo, or would we be better off selling them separate from each other?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel
Hi
We are also newbies-have the EXACT Quantum 5 you pictured...it was built 1980 sold 1982, same color same everyhing inside. We bought it for $1,000.00 two months ago. My husband is a truck driver so we can pull and do pull a 17' bass tracker behind it. We have the walls bare now and are putting on bubble insulation and rat fur. We LOVE ours and were told they were collectorable back east but you have to find a buyer. Our unit sit for two years waiting for a buyer because he wanted $2,500 for it. People say it is too small but for the two of us and our two four legged kids it is great. I knew 0 before I started online here and now I even know about rat fur, bubble insulation and tons of help.
Can not believe I have contacted someone with the same 5th wheel!!!!!
Brenda

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. To be perfectly honest, the reason I went searching for information on these to begin with was that I was contemplating selling it and wanted to see what the market rate is for the unit. Now that I see its somewhat of a rarity, I am on the fence as whether to keep it as-is, renovate/upgrade, or sell.

We have had it for several years now, and it has only been out a half dozen times while we have had it. Based on the cost of storage versus the minimal use, I thin I am leaning towards selling to someone who will use and appreciate it far more than we do.

Any ideas/estimates on how much the Quantum is worth? We bought it as a combo with the truck a few years ago, and the truck alone is worth ~$3k. Would we be better off selling as a combo, or would we be better off selling them separate from each other?
Brenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #12

Yeah, its crazy! The only other one I have seen is the one pictured on the home page of this site.

We were driving through the backwoods Colorado rockies on the outskirts of Rocky Mountain National Park, some nice scenic two lane that is barely traveled when we came across this one being sold as a combo sitting by the road next to a small cabin.

We love Comanche's, and got the combo for basically the cost of the truck. $1k sounds like a steal for yours based on what I am seeing.

Quote:
Hi
We are also newbies-have the EXACT Quantum 5 you pictured...it was built 1980 sold 1982, same color same everyhing inside. We bought it for $1,000.00 two months ago. My husband is a truck driver so we can pull and do pull a 17' bass tracker behind it. We have the walls bare now and are putting on bubble insulation and rat fur. We LOVE ours and were told they were collectorable back east but you have to find a buyer. Our unit sit for two years waiting for a buyer because he wanted $2,500 for it. People say it is too small but for the two of us and our two four legged kids it is great. I knew 0 before I started online here and now I even know about rat fur, bubble insulation and tons of help.
Can not believe I have contacted someone with the same 5th wheel!!!!!
Brenda

Tags
quantum