Queen size bed in a Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Queen size bed in a Casita?

Seems to me I saw a post not long ago about a way to do a queen size bed in a Casita? I was hoping someone might know how to find the post, or know how to do the queen bed thing in a 16' Casita.

I sure don't have the magic touch when it comes to using the search functions of these forums.

Thanks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I believe the Liberty model can be configured into at least a queen, perhaps a king. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know of a Casita Patriot that now has a king. But Glen had to gut the trailer to do it. The problem is the cabinets. In order to gain width for the bed, you have to cut the cabinets which means a bunch of fiberglassing or building with wood. With the Liberty, you can have several different configurations... even twin beds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

New York
Right after I posted this message, lo & behold, what comes in my mail but a package from Casita advertising a sale on all their models, and noting the fact that the Liberty can expand to a king size bed! The little woman is out for a girl's weekend, but we're gonna have to have a little chat when she gets home tonight. The sale price for the Liberty Deluxe is considerably less that what we had tentatively optioned for a ParkLiner, and bigger to boot with more standard stuff.

We pick up her new 2.0 liter ecoboost Escape with the tow package tomorrow (3500# capacity), and in Ruby Red!

Frank
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Raz

Casitas can be heavy. Look here to get an idea of what will work.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

New York
We would be looking at the 16' Liberty Deluxe Raz, but the little woman likes ParkLiners. She's not here this weekend, but I would think the king size bed in the 16" Liberty would tickle her fancy. Nothing the new Escape couldn't handle from everything I've seen for weights.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Raz

I like the Casita and would have bought one except for the windows. We wanted windows that can be opened when it rains. Casita uses sliders. No flexibility there. Raz
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #8

New York
We have those jalousie windows in our 30 year old Sunline. Jeez, maybe I should just keep it. Just finished all the detail on rebuilding a drawer that had been below the old frig when some kind of major leak occurred. It destroyed one particle board side, the end of the other, and the back was not good either. Thankfully the face is fine, and I had all the right thicknesses of wood scraps around to rebuild it better than it was new. It's just that I'm getting tired of fixing up old trailers. This is the 2nd one I've had to rebuild.

Frank
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Side by Side comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
The sale price for the Liberty Deluxe is considerably less that what we had tentatively optioned for a ParkLiner, and bigger to boot with more standard stuff.
The devil is in the details; not all size measurements correspond equally.

Parkliner
  • Overall length = 15'
  • Interior Length = 12'
  • Overall Height = 8' 3"
  • Interior height = 6' 5"
  • Queen size Bed
  • 2100 lbs "dry" total weight / 220 lbs tongue weight (advertized)
  • Top-hinged windows
  • 14" Tires
  • Icebox standard / 1.9 & 2.4 cu. ft Refrigerator Options
  • 2-burner cook top Optional
Casita 16' Liberty Deluxe
  • Overall length = 16'
  • Interior Length = 13'
  • Overall Height = 7' 8"
  • Interior height = 5' 10"
  • King size Bed
  • 2185 lbs "dry" total weight / 255 lbs tongue weight (advertized)
  • Slider windows
  • 15" Tires
  • 1.9 cu. ft Refrigerator standard
  • 2-burner cook top standard

While the Casita is 12" longer, it has 7" less interior headroom.
It also has sliding windows instead of "top hinged" windows.
These may be possible drawbacks...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #10

New York
Thanks Frederick, you're spot on!

Frank
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank, I think you need to wait until the Copake rally so you can check out a Parkliner and a couple Casitas.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

New York
That's easy to do Bob. Trust me, no cash burning holes in my pockets right now anyways. Soon though!

I just worry about prices on new trailers really. We added up over 20 grand on an optioned ParkLiner (no 12V receptacles!). That was based on the most recent price list on their web site (dated 6/30/13). I wonder how prices will change after that date. Guess I'll see. Don't "need" a trailer this year anyways. We could order after Copake, or even in early 2014. Longer we wait, more cash we'll have too. I really don't want to borrow money, but if I have to, I want as small a loan as I can get! I want whatever we get paid off by February 2016.

Take care Bob, hope you & Mary are doing good!

Frank
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Right after I posted this message, lo & behold, what comes in my mail but a package from Casita advertising a sale on all their models, and noting the fact that the Liberty can expand to a king size bed! The little woman is out for a girl's weekend, but we're gonna have to have a little chat when she gets home tonight. The sale price for the Liberty Deluxe is considerably less that what we had tentatively optioned for a ParkLiner, and bigger to boot with more standard stuff.

We pick up her new 2.0 liter ecoboost Escape with the tow package tomorrow (3500# capacity), and in Ruby Red!

Frank
Can you share the sale pricing they sent you? I am on the list and didn’t get anything. I am looking between the Scamp, Casita and PL I also have the 3500 limit.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
Can you share the sale pricing they sent you? I am on the list and didn’t get anything. I am looking between the Scamp, Casita and PL I also have the 3500 limit.
Sorry, threw it out, figured we were going ParkLiner. But after 2 emails I have sent them about tire rub issues, and no response, I emailed Casita for whatever they are currently mailing out. I'm interested in the 17' model because it has 6' 1-1/2" interior height, but can't buy just right yet, but hopefully soon.

Frank
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frank, Just some outside thoughts.

Used Parkliners are difficult to come across but there are plenty of used Casitas available, particularly if you have a tow vehicle that can handle a Casita 17.

We towed a Casita 16 for a year without any issues. I did get used to the 5'10" height but would not have liked it in the long term so we bought a Scamp 16.

We found an excellent 2005 Casita 17 for $7000 (improperly priced, should have been $10,000) but decided to by pass it because we couldn't tow it with our CRV. We simply could not justify the purchase of a new tow vehicle to tow a one foot longer trailer.

There always seem to be Casitas on the market and a used one can save you a lot of money. Generally the used ones are in very good shape, can meet your needs and save you a lot of money that is unless you just want a new trailer. The $10,000 difference from new to used may pay for all the gas for 50,000 towing miles, probably 5 years worth.

What ever you decide, new or used, Parkliner, Casita or Scamp, you'll have something from which you can enjoy the lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Frank, Just some outside thoughts.

Used Parkliners are difficult to come across but there are plenty of used Casitas available, particularly if you have a tow vehicle that can handle a Casita 17.

We towed a Casita 16 for a year without any issues. I did get used to the 5'10" height but would not have liked it in the long term so we bought a Scamp 16.

We found an excellent 2005 Casita 17 for $7000 (improperly priced, should have been $10,000) but decided to by pass it because we couldn't tow it with our CRV. We simply could not justify the purchase of a new tow vehicle to tow a one foot longer trailer.

There always seem to be Casitas on the market and a used one can save you a lot of money. Generally the used ones are in very good shape, can meet your needs and save you a lot of money that is unless you just want a new trailer. The $10,000 difference from new to used may pay for all the gas for 50,000 towing miles, probably 5 years worth.

What ever you decide, new or used, Parkliner, Casita or Scamp, you'll have something from which you can enjoy the lifestyle.
Thanks folks (I never know who I'm talking to - Norm or Ginny, or do you two play doubles?).

That's a real good point, and an excellent idea, like checking out FG RV's For Sale web site. Thing is, we're selling the Outback (should I leave the class 3 hitch on or take it off?!?), and with what we get from that, paying off the '09 GMC and buying an older chevy v-8 truck. With the GMC paid off, we would have 10 grand plus to get into an FGRV with no debt. Then the only payments I would have would be just the new Escape we bought Gail, and I could retire on target (early 2016). Monthly payments I wouldn't be making could go in the bank. I like this idea...

Frank
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Frank,

I posted and watched for ads on a Liberty 17; took almost a year to connect with one, so patience pays off. Saved almost $7000 off a new one and the PO had already done several mods I would have done, saving probably another $500 and a lot of work!

I also needed the interior height. We've used several sleeping configurations, king, twins, and slept both sideways and lengthwise. The one we've settled on is queen size, sleeping lengthwise. Wifey is pretty picky as she doesn't like to wake up with a stiff back.

We dropped a 3" gel memory foam queen mattress (Costco) on top of the king cushion setup, and like it because that leaves 4-5 inches of space on each side of the topper where the side and back cushions can reside at night, leaving the "tunnel" on the floor open for storage or dogs to sleep in. The gel foam is easily trimmed to fit using an electric carving knife.

The gel foam topper is also super flexible, so it can be flipped back halfway during the day leaving a good seating area to use on the cabinet end without completely undoing the bed. Added a flip-up shelf to both end cabinets of the Liberty so we have a place on each side for eating.

The floor sockets were eliminated with laminate flooring and I used the table tops to make a portable table (stick the big pipe in between the two tops) that we can also use outside or break it down to store easily.

If we really want to undo the bed, the gel foam rolls up into a 12-13 inch diameter 60 inch long roll that we secure with sleeping bag straps and toss in the back of the truck. It's light enough for 1 person to lift but simpler with two. If we make a quicky overnight stop, we just grab naps using the cushions on the seats in a twin configuration.

The 17 Liberty just has a lot more options for you to choose from than the others (my opinion.)

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita