Question about 1980Trillium1300 frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Question about 1980Trillium1300 frame

...Hi, I am a new member of this forum and really need help into my frame. After pulling out the frame, inspecting every inch of it with..a magnified glass, the frame seems to be in good shape, only minor rust outside of steel. The problem is the axle seems to be upwarded from ground...RIGHT AT THE MIDDLE PORTION. I kind of doubt about it's shape due to it's symmetrical bend. In my opinion, it could be original design from manufacturer. I never own any trailler camper before so please give me input, I am really appreciated. You coud see it in following picture before I start working into re-inforcement of my frame. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG353.jpg   IMG413.jpg  

IMG415.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Many trailer axles are built with a positive camber which allows the trailer to track better - I believe that is what you are seeing here.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Randy and welcome to the forum. Your axle looks just like mine except I have brakes. Since you have the flanges for brakes you might want to add them. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
problem is the axle seems to be upwarded from ground...RIGHT AT THE MIDDLE PORTION. I kind of doubt about it's shape due to it's symmetrical bend. In my opinion, it could be original design from manufacturer.

That "bend" is built into the axle. Just as a side note, NEVER jack the trailer up by this piece, as it could change that built-in angle.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is normal. Now is the time to consider changing the axle. The rubber hardens over the years and you lose both the spring and shock benefits of a torsion axle. As Raz says, adding brakes is a good idea.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
As stated before, the upward bend is normal. However, when the frame is flipped over, do the trailing arms for the wheels also stay pointed upward? If so, your axle is probably past it's prime and you may want to think about replacing it. The original specs on the Trillium axle call for a 0 degree (level) inclination on the trailing arms. If you do replace it, as stated before, you also may want to consider adding brakes!

Also, Trillium built their frames pretty stout. The only reinforcing you may need to add is on the bottom of the frame where the front bolts come through. (Unless you really have a hankering to do some welding) There was a recall on the frames as certain ones may crack at that location. Can't tell from you pictures if this has already been done. Search the forums for "Trillium Recall" for more info or post a pic of the front bolt area.

Ahhhh!....More food for thought!

Spanke
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The recall on Trillium frames was for 1973-76 1300's....I'm pretty sure that subsequent (all) models came from the factory with the welded-on gussets already installed.

They show in the image below as double-pointed plates on the tongue near the upward swoop.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Thankyou so much for your feedbacks. I've learn a lot from this forum. Thru your info, I have a peace of mine for my frame. When it's is flipped over, the trailing arms are downward. I would like to replace the new axle any how but not for now( maybe the next couple years) because I rarely go camping far from home more than 100miles. BTW, in particularly brake issue like Raz said, I guess it must be electric brakes. If someone could post a photo of them it would be nice and pls show me ...where to shop them? Thankyou all.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote