Question about cracking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Martha
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Question about cracking

Hi, Everyone. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed learning from the many helpful people here. I'm in the market for a FG egg, and I'm wondering how much to worry about what people call hairline or spider cracking. Here's one photo--this is right rear of trailer, mostly around the belly band. Should I be concerned as a potential buyer? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
casita.jpg  
Martha in Tennesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The gelcoat cracks appearing along the belly band in your photo appear to be superficial cracks, i.e., its unlikely they extend into the fiberglass and unlikely they affect the structural integrity of the camper.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
The gelcoat cracks appearing along the belly band in your photo appear to be superficial cracks, i.e., its unlikely they extend into the fiberglass and unlikely they affect the structural integrity of the camper.
Thanks for your insight, John!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha in Tennesse View Post
Hi, Everyone. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed learning from the many helpful people here. I'm in the market for a FG egg, and I'm wondering how much to worry about what people call hairline or spider cracking. Here's one photo--this is right rear of trailer, mostly around the belly band. Should I be concerned as a potential buyer? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!
H Martha, hairline or cracks like that in gel coat are not out of the ordinary with a lot of items built of FG. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say being out in the sun/age and elements 24/7 cause most of them. Cracks in areas that have stresses on them is another story. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #5

Tennessee
Dave, thanks for your reply! Helps hearing from people with more experience than I have.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Hi Martha,

I have a few hairline cracks on the same corner or our 2010 Casita SD. For a few minutes I was concerned but after careful examination there was no sign of any accident trauma or bumping, the belly band looks perfect. Stress during manufacture or whatever it was from is only superficial in my case and likely yours too.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have one spot on my Bigfoot with spider web cracking and I had two fiberglass boats with similar cracks'. They are annoying but they are only cosmetic. With both boats and the trailer, the cracks never changed at all. Fixing them would require removing the gel coat over the entire area and applying new gel coat, which is a major job. Filling the cracks or covering them will not work. They just reappear. Gel coat is very hard and brittle. The fiberglass underneath has some ability to flex. I would just leave the situation alone and enjoy the trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

Tennessee
Big thanks to all who replied. You are helping educate this newbie and making me feel comfortable enough to get serious about a potential buy! Hope to be camping soon!