Question about Dicor Self Leveling Sealant - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Question about Dicor Self Leveling Sealant

I recently did an Amazon order for Dicor 501LSW Self Leveling LAP sealant. The order was filled by a company called Camper Trailer Supply. What I received was a different looking tube labeled as Dicor Products, but all black&white packaging, with a title of 502LSW Self Leveling Sealant.

I corresponded with CTS and they claim that the 502 product is the OEM version of what we commonly purchase as the retail 501 version in the multi-colored tubes.

Does anyone know if the two products are really exactly the same? I've written to Dicor but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,
Josh-W
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The company that sold you this product is correct. The 502 is the version sold for commercial use in the RV repair and manufacturing industry. I have seen a comment saying it is slightly thinner than 501 which is sold in RV supply stores to owners. Being slightly thinner would have the advantage of make it faster to gun out of the tube and easier to level but that would not effect its performance otherwise versus the 501 version. In the RV manufacturing and repair world speed and ease of application is important.

If I had received 502 instead of 501 and learned the difference between them then I would be a very pleased customer who felt they got lucky I would feel lucky because sometimes these products are next to impossible for me to get out of the tube even using a high quality caulk gun. So to me something easier to gun and level, that otherwise gives the same performance, would be a real advantage. But it is up to you to decide for yourself to keep it or send it back.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Arizona
Thanks KC. Josh
Old 08-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
There is a mobile home repair center near me here in Florida, they provide materials for contractors that work on the sea of mobile home developments here. They sell to the public and they have the generic looking tubes of self leveling Dicor. I've used it and it is what you are looking for. I have found that the most important thing is to buy from an outfit that sells lots of it so you get fresh tubes, not some that are years old, where it won't dispense.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

Arizona
About Dicor 501 vs 502 self leveling LAP sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhitch View Post
There is a mobile home repair center near me here in Florida, they provide materials for contractors that work on the sea of mobile home developments here. They sell to the public and they have the generic looking tubes of self leveling Dicor. I've used it and it is what you are looking for. I have found that the most important thing is to buy from an outfit that sells lots of it so you get fresh tubes, not some that are years old, where it won't dispense.

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional info; I still haven't heard back from Dicor, but I'll be sure to post if they do reply.

FYI, I recently used two tubes of Dicor 501 that had been sitting in an upper cabinet of our trailer for close to three years at temperatures reaching triple figures in AZ. Seemed to work fine, though of course, I don't have experience with fresh tubes. But I agree, it's best to go with fresh if you can. I was too cheap to throw the old stuff out without at least trying it.

Regards,
Josh-W