Question about propane catalytic fuel - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Question about propane catalytic fuel

We have both a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heater and a Coleman Black Cat catalytic heater for winter use. Both use the one pound propane tanks. I have the gas hose and adapter to use with the Mr. Heater and a 20 pound propane tank, which is convenient on longer trips. But the Coleman Black Cat instructions say not to use the adapter hose with it.

We like the Coleman Black Cat better and would like to take only it when camping this winter. It doesn't make sense to me that both heaters use the one pound propane bottles, but only Coleman says not to use the hose and adapter.

Can someone explain why? We would not have the 20 pound tank inside. I cut a hole in the floor for the gas hose. And in your opinion, would you feel safe using the hose and adapter on the Coleman anyway? We really want to use our Black Cat. It's smaller and does a superb job of heating our small space.

We don't have an egg yet -- we have a stickie. But I love the people on this board and thought I'd chance asking my question here.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I have a Coleman Cat, too... my guess (and it is just a guess) is that they are counting on having the weight of the propane tank to help make the unit stable.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I have a Coleman Cat, too... my guess (and it is just a guess) is that they are counting on having the weight of the propane tank to help make the unit stable.
That makes sense, as it does rely on the propane bottle to act as a third foot of a tripod.

I think I'll play with ways to stabilize it--maybe bungeeing it to some kind of base.

Thanks for the reply!

Tags
propane