Question about Scamp Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sharon,

The Scamp16 floor plan that feels so roomy to me is plan 7

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/16Tr...FloorPlans.aspx

Too bad you can't do without a bath because with that floor plan one can have two dedicated beds and a dinette to use without unmaking/making beds.

I agree with Ed about the side dinette feeling more spacious than the side bath. And I too like my "rat fur" wall covering.

When I considered changing trailers the Scamp 16 side dinette did not look confortable for sleeping. I like my front bunk. By the way, my husband 5'10 is comfortable sleeping on the front bunk too. Mine is actually a bit wider than 28 inches at the hip. I think it is closer to 30", my foam may hang over just a bit. The side dinette (for sleeping purposes) would only be about 24" wide and I didn't like that.

If you didn't need a shower could you consider a privacy curtain making the little trailer into 2 rooms at night. When I feel the need for privacy for the potty I just pull my curtain to divide the space. I certainly understand the desire for a bathroom, it is the only thing I miss having.

You mentioned floor rot. You do know about the different floors in the Scamp and Casitas? I think Casita encloses theirs in fiberglass while Scamp does not.

Nancy

Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
great replies here. I think i read your post right that you might like twin beds. Attached is a casita setup that way if I understood you right. Anyway, I also like the front dinette side bathroom scamp deluxe. I would think that front window might let in a lot of light. I have not been in that model but just guessing from all the other trailers I have been inside with a front window. IT's funny I have very rarely seen that model. Now if you go with that you can post many photos for us here.

I also had a trailer floor rot out on me. I have always been leary of the casita floor tub design. Any water intrusion and it just sits with the wood floor bath tubed in. OR maybe I have it all pictured in my wind wrong. Take care.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita_Interior_low_res_02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	25135

Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I'm a Scamp owner. I've seen a lot of Casitas, having attended a Casita Club rally in northern Colorado. I was amazed at how different the brands can seem inside, though they look so alike from the exterior. Scamps seem taller overall. The roof might measure the same as a Casita's above the center aisle, but Scamp roofs carry more height out to the sides. With its higher central rise, Casitas remind me of the the rows of clerestory windows that graced 19th Century railroad coaches. (hey, that would be a nice look, they should add porthole windows up there, like on an old VW bus.)

So for me, the different roof shapes make Scamps seem roomier. But I'd give back some of those points to Casita for their larger side windows. Scamp skims here, IMO.

I like Scamp's wall coverings better. Maybe I saw too many conversion vans back in the Seventies, but when I see those carpeted walls, I start expecting to see beads and bongs and 8-track tapes of Grand Funk Railroad. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it just seems fundamentally wrong; carpet belongs on the floor. Scamp's rat fur is soft and easy on the eye, and still looks clean & modern 25 years after installation.

Casitas are fine trailers. Every one I saw at the meet shone like a full moon. They're better equipped than most Scamps, and especially mine. But there wasn't a 16-footer among them that wouldn't have required me to get a different tow vehicle. Casitas are heavier, by every reported weight I've seen. That full fiberglass shell underneath doesn't come without a weight penalty. I have to desire to own and feed a truck, so I have little use for a trailer over 2,000 lbs. That was the biggest consideration for me.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #18

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Oops, I see I crossposted with a couple of people and didn't answer their questions. Sorry!

H. David, yes, I know about the referrals. I just didn't want to bother anyone until I am actually at the point of buying. It may be another year or so before I am to that point.

WOW! Hearing someone "fluffy" say that the front sofa is big enough to sleep on is GREAT. I'm not exactly skinny!

Also, you reinforced my feeling that the front window really is absolutely essential.

John H., I saw that ad in Pensacola for the Liberty. In fact, we are going home to Florida for Thanksgiving, and if I were in a position to buy right now, I might end up with that one.

About the Aliner, I really do love it... or would have loved it if it hadn't been a lemon from the get-go. I can set it up and take it down myself easily. It tows beautifully, and with the large windows and skylights, the views go on forever. I love having the high ceiling. It makes it seem a lot more spacious than it is. But the quality issues have caused me more grief and heartache--and expense--than I ever thought an RV would be capable of delivering. I had to completely gut it and rebuild it the second year I had it due to extensive floor rot because the waterproof membrane under the floor trapped water in the wood. The frame bent, and I had to have it straightened and reinforced. The sofa bed was 1-1/2" higher at one end than the other, which meant I always felt like I was going to be tipped out of the bed. Eventually I got most of the problems fixed... except the bathroom. I can't ever get it totally leak free, despite heroic tries. I am busy working on it now to get it ready for the trip to Florida Monday. One good thing--I have never had an external leak.

Aliner used to advertise that they had no assembly lines... that each unit was built by one person from start to finish. I used to say that I think mine was built by a guy who came in to work drunk on a Monday with a grudge against his boss.

However, there are MANY Aliner owners who are ecstatic with their units. One woman on the Aliner Club board just bought her THIRD Aliner!

Nancy, that Layout 7 does look incredibly open and spacious... but I do have to have the bath. But I am really happy to hear you say you LIKE your rat fur!!!

Interesting your mentioning the foam on the front sofa hanging over a bit. I had thought of having a mattress made just a tiny bit wider than the sofa or front dinette so it would give me an extra inch for my elbows.

And again, yes, I know about the difference in the Casita and Scamp floors. And I've read a few posts about Casita floors rotting and how difficult it is to repair. My Aliner floor rotted so badly because I couldn't see the problem developing due to the black waterproof membrane covering it. So to me, being able to inspect the floor from underneath and catch any problems as soon as they begin is a big plus for the Scamp to me.

Ken, I have already copied that Liberty Deluxe photo--along with tons of other Scamp and Casita interior photos--into a dream folder on my computer. I have also done a lot of modifications on them in my graphics program!

Quote:
I like Scamp's wall coverings better. Maybe I saw too many conversion vans back in the Seventies, but when I see those carpeted walls, I start expecting to see beads and bongs and 8-track tapes of Grand Funk Railroad. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it just seems fundamentally wrong; carpet belongs on the floor. Scamp's rat fur is soft and easy on the eye, and still looks clean & modern 25 years after installation.
Okay, I laughed out loud at that!!!! And your comment on the rat fur just about cinched my decision for me unless I run into an unbelievable deal on a used Casita!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: JerryPEI
Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
Sharon,

The Scamp16 floor plan that feels so roomy to me is plan 7

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/16Tr...FloorPlans.aspx

Too bad you can't do without a bath because with that floor plan one can have two dedicated beds and a dinette to use without unmaking/making beds.

I agree with Ed about the side dinette feeling more spacious than the side bath. And I too like my "rat fur" wall covering.

When I considered changing trailers the Scamp 16 side dinette did not look confortable for sleeping. I like my front bunk. By the way, my husband 5'10 is comfortable sleeping on the front bunk too. Mine is actually a bit wider than 28 inches at the hip. I think it is closer to 30", my foam may hang over just a bit. The side dinette (for sleeping purposes) would only be about 24" wide and I didn't like that.

If you didn't need a shower could you consider a privacy curtain making the little trailer into 2 rooms at night. When I feel the need for privacy for the potty I just pull my curtain to divide the space. I certainly understand the desire for a bathroom, it is the only thing I miss having.

You mentioned floor rot. You do know about the different floors in the Scamp and Casitas? I think Casita encloses theirs in fiberglass while Scamp does not.

Nancy

We sold our 2002 Scamp 16' with side dinette a couple weeks ago. We ordered a new 17' ESCAPE from Escape trailers in B.C. I've compared and the Escape quality an features are superior to Scamp. The people at Escape are good to deal with....more than I can say about Scamp who seem to be just interested in the sale and good bye. I visited there plant in early Aug./09 and they had no time for a current Scamp owner...little did they know I was getting the itch for a new unit. Check out www.escapetrailer.com.

JerryCpei
Old 11-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #20

Georgia
Jerry, I know the Escapes are superior in every way. That's what I would buy if money were no object and if they weren't over 3,000 miles away.

But my circumstances dictate that I look at another alternative.

Unless, by some miracle, a used 17B comes available in this area of the country at a price I can afford.

Quote:
We sold our 2002 Scamp 16' with side dinette a couple weeks ago. We ordered a new 17' ESCAPE from Escape trailers in B.C. I've compared and the Escape quality an features are superior to Scamp. The people at Escape are good to deal with....more than I can say about Scamp who seem to be just interested in the sale and good bye. I visited there plant in early Aug./09 and they had no time for a current Scamp owner...little did they know I was getting the itch for a new unit. Check out www.escapetrailer.com.

JerryCpei
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #21

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
just a side note here. Photos of the rare front dinette side bath deluxe were posted Here recently. It's hard to find photos of this model.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #22

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Sharon Just a thought. Take a look at the Scamp plan #4 and visualize the following mod. lengthen either side of the rear dinette to where it is long enough for either you or your husband to use it for sleeping ( not a very complex mod and with the advise of forum members I think it could be eaisly done ). Now you have your bathroom in a roomy and airy configuration. One sleeps on the front sofa the other on one side of the modified rear dinette and you could actually use the other side of the dinette for it's intended purpose..dining ! In this instance you would both need to sit on the same side of the dining table. You would even be able to leave both beds made up at all times if so desired. Lee
Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #23

Georgia
Ken, I appreciate that photo. I combed the Scamp site for a photo of the front dinette and couldn't find one.

Lee, I can do mods, but my construction always looks very home-done, so I would be very reluctant to try to do the mods you mentioned.

I will probably end up getting the regular Scamp instead of the custom deluxe. It depends on finances at the time. But even so, I think I could get an open, airy feeling with the side bathroom by having windows over the stove and sink counters on opposite sides of the trailer. I would keep the front sofa made up as a bed, probably with a custom mattress or cushion that would make for comfortable sleeping.

Since DH is so short, I am hoping a width-wise bed would work for him, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	25203
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I sense that you are looking for a new trailer and looking for twin beds, and a bathroom, have you thought about a Fiberstream in good condition?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
In order to get a U-shaped dinette, you'll need to order a deluxe, if Scamp will even make it. Otherwise you'll need to modify the standard like peterh did to get a U-shape.
:Converting dinette into a "U" with more accessible storage.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #26

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Sharon Your idea for a bed across the back is a really great solution. An inexpensive way to get there would be to cut the dinette table in two pieces ( I hear the part about you not being up to complex remodeling but this could be done by any cabinet shop for you very inexpensively ). One piece of the table could then be dedicated to a bed across the back and the other piece would then be used as the dining table. Alas although I can do remodeling I lack your computer skills and can't furnish a drawing. Lee
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I also need to find out if Scamp's front sofa is large enough for an adult to sleep on. If so, my plan is to make the rear dinette a 28" wide twin bed, leaving two small seating areas (maybe) and eliminating the dining table. We could carry a small folding table in the truck if we needed one (like on rainy days when we were stuck inside).
Simple solution to the wraparound couch , allowing for a bed in the back as well as more comfort.....
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_pictures_009.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #28

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
But if not comparing Apples to Apples it is easy to misunderstand some comments here too.

Fuji and Granny Smith?

Tags
scamp