Question about Scamp Options - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #29

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Just a quick update. DH and I have definitely decided on a Scamp 19. We will probably be able to get it in late 2011.

We've decided that the nightly crawl-over might not be so bad if we could crawl down to the bottom of the bed to stairs instead of directly over each other. I'd have hand grabs installed.

Here is a drawing of my tentative plans for mods. The batteries will be at the center rear of the trailer. I use AGM's, so they don't require venting, although I will probably add it anyway for super safety. That's to help reduce the Scamp 19's high tongue weight.

The washer is just a whimsical dream at this point. Only to be used where we had electricity but no laundry facilities. The washer uses 10 gallons per load, and I'd drain it into a Blueboy tote. I'd use a wooden folding drying rack bungied to the back bumper. Since we prefer camping in National Forests, this would work some of the time anyway. (Now I use a Wonder Washer and bungie the drying rack to my Aliner's back bumper.)

Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #30

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
Good Choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Just a quick update. DH and I have definitely decided on a Scamp 19. We will probably be able to get it in late 2011.
I think you'll love the 5er. We snagged a super deal on a 2010 Deluxe Layout A that works wonderful for us. I've added a rack for the canoe on top but nothing else yet. It came with a 3" factory lift that is going to get reduced to a 1.5" lift real soon now so it fits in the garage better. It's a great match for our Toyota Tacoma.

John & BJ

Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #31

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
I think you'll love the 5er. We snagged a super deal on a 2010 Deluxe Layout A that works wonderful for us. I've added a rack for the canoe on top but nothing else yet. It came with a 3" factory lift that is going to get reduced to a 1.5" lift real soon now so it fits in the garage better. It's a great match for our Toyota Tacoma.

John & BJ
I looked at the picture of your Scamp on your trailer profile. I sure do love those jalousie windows in the loft. Will be wonderful for getting fresh air in when it rains.

I'm not sure the 3" lift will be high enough for us. We have a full sized Silverado and the rails are so high we can barely see over them. I'll worry about that when we get closer to buying, though!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #32

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
(Now I use a Wonder Washer and bungie the drying rack to my Aliner's back bumper.)
Is this the Wonder Wash that you use? If so, how do you like it?
Wonder Wash
John
Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #33

Georgia
John, yes that's the one I have except I have an older model. Before they improved it, there were problems with the handle and the lid. My handle came off, but it is even easier to use by just spinning the barrel by hand. It's important to spin it slowly enough that the clothes fall from top to bottom each spin.

It gets our camping clothes VERY very clean. I imagine the new improved version shown in the video would be even better. I love my little machine.

I also have the small 2 lb. spin dryer that Laundry Alternative sells. It can do one large towel or one pair of jeans at a time, or several smaller items. It dries them dryer than the spin cycle on my washing machine at home in 2 minutes. It does run on electricity, though, so you can't use it boondocking.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #34

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
One of these should do the trick, they have been around a lot longer and take up a lot less room.
Columbus Washboard Company, only washboard made in the USA

Gosh Darn, I forgot these things double as a musical instrument. Perfect for around the campfire too!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #35

Georgia
Roy, I would probably wear dirty clothes if I had to wash them on one of those!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #36

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Wonder Wash, neat, never heard of it before. You learn something new every day!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #37

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile

Some notes on things I read in this thread:

Trilliums have Ensolite walls. They also have opening windows on all four sides. Also the windows, with the exception of the door window, are all jalousie type which allow being open in the rain. These are some of the reasons we bought a Trillium.

Re: washing clothes. I understand you can get a clean 5 gal bucket with a sealing top at most hardware stores. This can be anchored to the tongue of your rig. Add water and cold water detergent and you have a wash machine which will have your clothes cleaned by your next stop.

Don't Scamps have exposed plywood floors, ala Aliner?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp