Question about Scamp Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
just a side note here. Photos of the rare front dinette side bath deluxe were posted Here recently. It's hard to find photos of this model.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Sharon Just a thought. Take a look at the Scamp plan #4 and visualize the following mod. lengthen either side of the rear dinette to where it is long enough for either you or your husband to use it for sleeping ( not a very complex mod and with the advise of forum members I think it could be eaisly done ). Now you have your bathroom in a roomy and airy configuration. One sleeps on the front sofa the other on one side of the modified rear dinette and you could actually use the other side of the dinette for it's intended purpose..dining ! In this instance you would both need to sit on the same side of the dining table. You would even be able to leave both beds made up at all times if so desired. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #23

Trailer: Aliner
Ken, I appreciate that photo. I combed the Scamp site for a photo of the front dinette and couldn't find one.

Lee, I can do mods, but my construction always looks very home-done, so I would be very reluctant to try to do the mods you mentioned.

I will probably end up getting the regular Scamp instead of the custom deluxe. It depends on finances at the time. But even so, I think I could get an open, airy feeling with the side bathroom by having windows over the stove and sink counters on opposite sides of the trailer. I would keep the front sofa made up as a bed, probably with a custom mattress or cushion that would make for comfortable sleeping.

Since DH is so short, I am hoping a width-wise bed would work for him, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	25203
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I sense that you are looking for a new trailer and looking for twin beds, and a bathroom, have you thought about a Fiberstream in good condition?
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In order to get a U-shaped dinette, you'll need to order a deluxe, if Scamp will even make it. Otherwise you'll need to modify the standard like peterh did to get a U-shape.
:Converting dinette into a "U" with more accessible storage.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Sharon Your idea for a bed across the back is a really great solution. An inexpensive way to get there would be to cut the dinette table in two pieces ( I hear the part about you not being up to complex remodeling but this could be done by any cabinet shop for you very inexpensively ). One piece of the table could then be dedicated to a bed across the back and the other piece would then be used as the dining table. Alas although I can do remodeling I lack your computer skills and can't furnish a drawing. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I also need to find out if Scamp's front sofa is large enough for an adult to sleep on. If so, my plan is to make the rear dinette a 28" wide twin bed, leaving two small seating areas (maybe) and eliminating the dining table. We could carry a small folding table in the truck if we needed one (like on rainy days when we were stuck inside).
Simple solution to the wraparound couch , allowing for a bed in the back as well as more comfort.....
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_pictures_009.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
But if not comparing Apples to Apples it is easy to misunderstand some comments here too.

Fuji and Granny Smith?
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #29

Just a quick update. DH and I have definitely decided on a Scamp 19. We will probably be able to get it in late 2011.

We've decided that the nightly crawl-over might not be so bad if we could crawl down to the bottom of the bed to stairs instead of directly over each other. I'd have hand grabs installed.

Here is a drawing of my tentative plans for mods. The batteries will be at the center rear of the trailer. I use AGM's, so they don't require venting, although I will probably add it anyway for super safety. That's to help reduce the Scamp 19's high tongue weight.

The washer is just a whimsical dream at this point. Only to be used where we had electricity but no laundry facilities. The washer uses 10 gallons per load, and I'd drain it into a Blueboy tote. I'd use a wooden folding drying rack bungied to the back bumper. Since we prefer camping in National Forests, this would work some of the time anyway. (Now I use a Wonder Washer and bungie the drying rack to my Aliner's back bumper.)

Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Good Choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Just a quick update. DH and I have definitely decided on a Scamp 19. We will probably be able to get it in late 2011.
I think you'll love the 5er. We snagged a super deal on a 2010 Deluxe Layout A that works wonderful for us. I've added a rack for the canoe on top but nothing else yet. It came with a 3" factory lift that is going to get reduced to a 1.5" lift real soon now so it fits in the garage better. It's a great match for our Toyota Tacoma.

John & BJ
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & BJ S. View Post
I think you'll love the 5er. We snagged a super deal on a 2010 Deluxe Layout A that works wonderful for us. I've added a rack for the canoe on top but nothing else yet. It came with a 3" factory lift that is going to get reduced to a 1.5" lift real soon now so it fits in the garage better. It's a great match for our Toyota Tacoma.

John & BJ
I looked at the picture of your Scamp on your trailer profile. I sure do love those jalousie windows in the loft. Will be wonderful for getting fresh air in when it rains.

I'm not sure the 3" lift will be high enough for us. We have a full sized Silverado and the rails are so high we can barely see over them. I'll worry about that when we get closer to buying, though!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
(Now I use a Wonder Washer and bungie the drying rack to my Aliner's back bumper.)
Is this the Wonder Wash that you use? If so, how do you like it?

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #33

John, yes that's the one I have except I have an older model. Before they improved it, there were problems with the handle and the lid. My handle came off, but it is even easier to use by just spinning the barrel by hand. It's important to spin it slowly enough that the clothes fall from top to bottom each spin.

It gets our camping clothes VERY very clean. I imagine the new improved version shown in the video would be even better. I love my little machine.

I also have the small 2 lb. spin dryer that Laundry Alternative sells. It can do one large towel or one pair of jeans at a time, or several smaller items. It dries them dryer than the spin cycle on my washing machine at home in 2 minutes. It does run on electricity, though, so you can't use it boondocking.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One of these should do the trick, they have been around a lot longer and take up a lot less room.
Columbus Washboard Company, only washboard made in the USA

Gosh Darn, I forgot these things double as a musical instrument. Perfect for around the campfire too!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #35

Roy, I would probably wear dirty clothes if I had to wash them on one of those!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wonder Wash, neat, never heard of it before. You learn something new every day!
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

Some notes on things I read in this thread:

Trilliums have Ensolite walls. They also have opening windows on all four sides. Also the windows, with the exception of the door window, are all jalousie type which allow being open in the rain. These are some of the reasons we bought a Trillium.

Re: washing clothes. I understand you can get a clean 5 gal bucket with a sealing top at most hardware stores. This can be anchored to the tongue of your rig. Add water and cold water detergent and you have a wash machine which will have your clothes cleaned by your next stop.

Don't Scamps have exposed plywood floors, ala Aliner?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp