Question about Scamp Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Aliner
I have spent a lot of time on the Scamp website lately.

I notice that they only list a 20 amp converter. Does anyone know if it would be possible to order a Scamp with 30 amp power?

Also, do they offer high lift axles and 14" tires, or just the 13" tires?

And can you get linoleum flooring in a Scamp?

Also, what is the price difference (roughly) between a 16' regular model and the custom deluxe, assuming the other options are the same?

I am leaning toward the Scamp instead of the Casita because I don't think the rat fur would give such a closed in feeling as the carpet. Also, someone posted that they look larger inside. Most importantly, I can get the front couch (and window) in a Scamp along with a bathroom.

It will still be a year or so before I can get a new trailer, but I am having a lot of fun planning.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
My new scamp 13 basic came with a progressive dynamics PD-9130 30 amp converter (standard), it is also the only one listed in their parts department.
As far as the ac power goes they also supply a 30 amp rv power cord (standard) and a PD 5000 ac/dc distribution panel (standard)

Yes you can get vinyl flooring, I did it was a $75 option. I do not like carpet on the floor, (you can put in a throw rug if needed)

As far as the rat fur vs carpet on the walls I did not notice much difference, (I owned a 1997 casita).

I did not order the front and rear overhead cabinets, so my 13' feels very open.

They will do many things to customize your scamp, all you need to do is ask, they will give you a price on the modification.
below is a picture of the 'ratfur' as it is installed (they still needed to apply the trim) in this picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_028__Small_.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	25119

Tire size: the 13' comes with the 13" tires, I believe the 16' comes with larger, but I do not know for sure you will have to ask.
Their spec sheet online needs to be updated as to the new information.
It took two months from the time I called until I picked it up, they were very busy. When I was there they had many people picking up new shiny trailers.
I hope this helps.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

Thank you so much, Joe.

I had gone back to their site last night and was watching their maintenance videos and they did talk about 30 amp power, so that was a relief.

I agree, they desperately need to update their website content.

Thanks also for the other info and the picture of the inside showing the wall covering.

I would really like to have an Escape, but since that doesn't seem like it is in the cards, I think I will plan on going with the Scamp.

I like Casita's bathroom better, but the window up front and the more open feeling is more important to me.

Now... all I have to do is get Mastercard and a couple of other bills paid off, and I'll be making that call to Backus--unless I can find a really nice used Scamp when I'm ready to buy.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Thank you so much, Joe.

I had gone back to their site last night and was watching their maintenance videos and they did talk about 30 amp power, so that was a relief.

I agree, they desperately need to update their website content.

Thanks also for the other info and the picture of the inside showing the wall covering.

I would really like to have an Escape, but since that doesn't seem like it is in the cards, I think I will plan on going with the Scamp.

I like Casita's bathroom better, but the window up front and the more open feeling is more important to me.

Now... all I have to do is get Mastercard and a couple of other bills paid off, and I'll be making that call to Backus--unless I can find a really nice used Scamp when I'm ready to buy.
Sharon
Scamp makes the same floorplans as Casita with the bathroom in front and they are almost identical to those in a Casita then?
Casita however does not offer a side bath as does Scamp.

I don't know why someone thinks one is much roomier inside than the other either? But if not comparing Apples to Apples it is easy to misunderstand some comments here too.

The Scamp has the Table and sidewall fixtures lifted about 6 inches higher than the walkway and may feel like these are closer to you inside than a Casita where these fixtures are right at floor level?
I have discovered though that this difference also lets me store some things in the Scamp where there is no similar space in the Casita,shoes mainly which are always in my way in the Casita just slide under the riser in the Scamp.
I have some big shoes.
I actually think the Casita 17' feels a lot more roomy than the Scamp 16' and I do have both right now.

The 16' Casita was way to short inside for me and is several inches shorter than the Scamp too.
The Casita 17' is about the same height as the Scamp but the extra foot makes it feel much longer to me.

It may make sense to make a chart of some kind to help remember the difference between each model of each size of each brand or it may be too confusing and hard to remember?

It would be a shame to try to be so careful in picking one out and then overlook some important difference due to this.

It is fun though.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I had a 2003 16' Scamp with linoleum floor and 13" tires. The rear clearance on the Scamp was more than my Casita now due to the Scamp steps up under the bed. Doesn't really matter to me but maybe you have a very steep driveway or something. The 16' Scamp vs. the Casita 17 weight is obvious especially when moving it around in the driveway by yourself.
One of the main reasons we switched to the Casita was the 44" wide bed in the Scamp. I might've looked closer at the deluxe if I would've realized the bed is wider in the deluxe but not sure exactly where that extra room comes from.
Can't say the rug is any different feeling space-wise than the rat fur and your feeling seems strange to me, but??? who knows.
One other thing is that the floor also stepped up under the side dinette - little tight for me but shorter people prefer it.
Went over 5000 miles in a loop around the west with 5 grandkids and the Scamp and we had a blast. Didn't know you weren't supposed to do 85 mph with a trailer back then. Whew!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Ed and Chris, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I have never actually been inside a Casita or a Scamp, so I am just guessing about the perceived difference between carpet and Scamp's marine fabric. I did read that Scamp's fabric is water repellent, which appealed to me. But maybe the carpet is, too.

I will definitely have to take a tour of each when I am closer to buying. We like our Aliner, but would like something a lot more solid and better able to weather storms. Also, upper cabinets would be such a luxury to us!

Right now, if I got a Casita, it would be the Liberty Deluxe because we need twin beds. I am a bit claustrophobic so that is why I thought the front window in the Scamp's side bathroom model might open it up and make it look bigger.

I also need to find out if Scamp's front sofa is large enough for an adult to sleep on. If so, my plan is to make the rear dinette a 28" wide twin bed, leaving two small seating areas (maybe) and eliminating the dining table. We could carry a small folding table in the truck if we needed one (like on rainy days when we were stuck inside).

If I do go with the Casita Liberty Deluxe, I want to put a small chest of drawers between the beds and build a slide out drop leaf table into it.

Anyway, I am having a ball considering all the possibilities and marveling at the great mods others do to their eggs.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I also need to find out if Scamp's front sofa is large enough for an adult to sleep on. If so, my plan is to make the rear dinette a 28" wide twin bed, leaving two small seating areas (maybe) and eliminating the dining table. We could carry a small folding table in the truck if we needed one (like on rainy days when we were stuck inside).
Hi Sharon,
I have a Boler 13, but although it is smaller it shares the same bed and couch sizes with the Scamp 13 and 16 (standard, not deluxe).

The front couch, to me, is sleepable for one person, if you either put the bunk in "up" position or remove it (i.e. the couch back) altogether. That way you have a bunk that is 28" wide in the middle section (although it narrows at head and foot; I don't find that to be a problem). With the couch-back/bunk in "down" position, the bunk would be pretty narrow and probably not very comfortable for most adults.

On your second idea - it's one I've tried out myself, in mock-up form. The problem with it is that, because of the Scamp/Boler's shape, the head and foot ends of the bed are only about 42". So if you want a bed that is 28" at head and foot, that leaves only 14" for the small seats. If you go down to 24" at head and foot, you can squeak by with 18" seats (and still have a bed that's 30" wide in the middle), so it may be doable, but it's tighter than you'd think. Of course the seats can "borrow" from the bed if they are the same height.

At some point I think Scamp "squared off" the back of their trailers a bit (the back window looks flatter); I'm not sure how or if that affects the width of the rear bed at the head and foot ends.

In the deluxe you often get a 54" bed, so what you propose is more workable.

I do really like the Liberty layout - I just wish that more of the new trailers used Ensolite or other non-fuzzy, non-carpety walls; that is one of the things that keeps me in the pre-1985-Boler/clone trailer years.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Sharon,

You mention wanting an open feeling. The Scamp model I really love is the 16 with the side dinette and the front bunk with no privacy room. It is the most open feeling fiberglass I have been in until you get to large ones. One sacrifices the bathroom for this model.

Joe mentioned not having the upper front or rear cabinets in his 13. I have to agree with him that his unit feels much larger than our 13 with the two optional cabinets. (I really like those cabinets though).

I do not suffer from closed in spaces, but I have to tell you that the overhead front bunk (front backrest) came out of our Scamp as soon as we got it home. There was no way I was going to try to get in and out of the lower bunk, or have the upper bunk above me at night.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Ed and Chris, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I have never actually been inside a Casita or a Scamp, so I am just guessing about the perceived difference between carpet and Scamp's marine fabric. I did read that Scamp's fabric is water repellent, which appealed to me. But maybe the carpet is, too.

I will definitely have to take a tour of each when I am closer to buying. We like our Aliner, but would like something a lot more solid and better able to weather storms. Also, upper cabinets would be such a luxury to us!

Right now, if I got a Casita, it would be the Liberty Deluxe because we need twin beds. I am a bit claustrophobic so that is why I thought the front window in the Scamp's side bathroom model might open it up and make it look bigger.

If I do go with the Casita Liberty Deluxe, I want to put a small chest of drawers between the beds and build a slide out drop leaf table into it.

Anyway, I am having a ball considering all the possibilities and marveling at the great mods others do to their eggs.

Its funny you would say the side bath layout seems more open to you,I feel exactly the opposite about it having been inside many of them.
The side bath is not only a tiny oddly shaped cubicle suitable for short persons to bathe but it juts into the trailer exactly where the side dinette models are open,in the middle ad makes them feel very closed in to me.

I also think I prefer the Rat Fur to the carpet now that I have spent some quality time with both.
It seems much less likely to absorb either liquids or stink. It is also better insulated and wears well.
The Casita carpet just looks worn out faster and is very heavy I am sure.

But we each have our opinions and if we are happy with them I guess that is what matters.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I might've looked closer at the deluxe if I would've realized the bed is wider in the deluxe [b]but not sure exactly where that extra room comes from.
Interior Photo of Scamp Custom Deluxe 16' with 54" wide Bed
If you look at the kitchen cabinet, you notice that it is skinnier than normal, and that the stove-top cantilevers out over the bed. The Side Dinette is slightly reduced in length as well.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yep, there are Scamp 13' deluxes too, and they also have the 54" bed. In their case the kitchen and closet are each simply reduced in width by 6", which isn't a bad trade-off if you want the extra sleeping room (of course it would be 54" in the center of the bed, and closer to 48" at head and foot).

This makes the closet about 13" wide (which is closer to the width of the closet in a U-haul 13 [and maybe a Burro]), and the kitchen about 38" wide (vs. 19" and 44").

I think it would be nice if they offered "standard" Scamps with this layout, but I suppose they don't want to have to re-tool and make new molds for the fiberglass kitchen + overhead cupboard, and closet. I bet they would sell a lot of them though, because not everyone wants the extra weight (or expense) of the wood.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Sharon - sounds like you are really doing your homework to discover which trailer & floorplan best fit your needs and camping style. We were preparing to buy a Chalet (like your A-liner) before we discovered our Scamp. Now we know we, too, would have missed the overhead storage. We added o'head cabinets front & rear and they have made a huge difference.

You probably already know this - both Scamp & Casita will give you referrals to owners in your area who are willing to show off their Eggs. I think you are wise to see the trailers 'up close & personal' since you don't always get the whole picture from the 2-dimensional images.

I can speak to your question of an adult sleeping on the front bunk. I am 5'7" and somewhat 'fluffy' and I have slept comfortably on the bottom bench, both with the upper bunk in position and with it as the 'sofa back'. Didn't like it with the bunk up, despite the extra few inches ... too confining. However, the grandsons think it's a 'kewl' place to snuggle!

We think the large front window in our Scamp 13 makes all the difference in 'livability'. Even when I get a touch of "3-foot-itis", I know my choice would be a side-bath Scamp 16-ft. with the front bunks JUST to retain that window. Yeah, the Escape IS nice, but don't think we'll ever be able to afford one of those.

Good luck with your search - you won't regret going 'glass! Take care, L 'n D

p.s. Thanx, Frederick, for posting the answer to how the deluxe beds are enlarged.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:

Sharon, There's a 2008 Casita Liberty for sale on the Pensacola FL Craigslist with modified beds and a bedstand table between them.
2008 LIBERTY CASITA - $13900 (PENSACOLA)
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/1458817015.html

How do you like the Aliner? I'm still searching for an alternate to our pop-up because I'm getting tired of packing up the canvas before and after each trip, and am primarily considering either a Scamp, Casita, Trillium, or Eggcamper, but I just looked at a Aliner Scout up in Woodstock last week and was impressed with the layout. It provides more bed width in the rear dinette, and a pretty good sized seating area in the front dinette (compared to 13 ft fiberglass campers). We plan to visit the Casita factory the Monday after Thanksgiving since we'll be in TX, and might even check out the used Liberty since we'll be in the FL panhandle this weekend.
I'm trying to stay as light as I can because I'd rather tow with my Subaru Outback than with my Dodge Dakota.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #14

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Raya, I am so happy to find out the width of the front sofa. I think it would be doable for us. The beds in our Aliner are 28" wide and they are fine for us. I don't like my hands hanging off the side of the bed, and the sofa's width in that area is as wide as our current beds, so it should work. If I got that model Scamp, I would remove the bunk and make the sofa a permanent twin bed.

My husband and I are both short. He's only 5'4" (although he will tell you he is 5'5" ) and I'm 5'5". So I think the rear twin bed would work for him even with the curve. And if it doesn't work out, leaving the bed its full size would also be okay. The dog and cat could sleep with him instead of with me.

I also desperately wish that I could get a non-fuzzy egg without the expense and LONG trip to Chilliwack for the Escape. But by the time we drove from Georgia to BC and stayed in motels along the way (and boarded the animals due to worries about finding motels along the way that allowed pets), it would be cost prohibitive. I think delivery would add over $5,000 to the price, too. And it would be so nice not to worry about pop rivits breaking or leaking down the road. At my age, I am looking for something that requires minimum maintenance.

If I could find an older 17' Boler with a bathroom that someone else had already brought up to speed, that would be an option, too.

Nancy, I looked at the Patriot pictures on the Casita website. That front sofa is wonderful. Even the 13' looks big in those pictures. But we feel that we absolutely must have a bathroom/shower. To me, it is the most essential feature.

Quote:
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Its funny you would say the side bath layout seems more open to you,I feel exactly the opposite about it having been inside many of them.
The side bath is not only a tiny oddly shaped cubicle suitable for short persons to bathe but it juts into the trailer exactly where the side dinette models are open,in the middle ad makes them feel very closed in to me.
</span>Ed, that statement REALLY surprised me!!! It just shows me that I really can't even intelligently discuss models until I see one in person!

The Casita just shot up higher on my list, although if we get one, it will almost surely be a Liberty Deluxe. I saw a drawing somewhere in the archives that showed the sizes of the LD windows. I think I remember reading that the rear window is 48" and the two side windows were 45". Those big windows reflected in a mirror on the bathroom wall would probably give a feeling of spaciousness.

We travel with a cat and a dog, so the comment about the rat fur not holding smells or absorbing liquids so much is a big consideration. And the insulation in the Scamp is another huge biggie.

Also, having had to deal with a rotten floor in our Aliner right after the warranty expired, due to a leaking hot water heater and shower, I really LIKE the idea of being able to look at the bottom of the trailer and SEE if there is any water damage forming anywhere. The Aliner's floor was covered with a black waterproof membrane which kept water from draining and also didn't allow me to see that a problem was developing early on when it could have been an easy fix.

Frederick, I wouldn't go with the Custom Deluxe model with the bigger bed since what we need is twin beds. I would opt for the biggest kitchen I could get. If we get the Custom Deluxe, I would want the regular Layout 4 with a front dinette instead of the couch as shown on the Custom Layouts page. That floor plan has the split kitchen with extra counter space. I would leave the dinette as a twin bed, but having the small dinette instead of the couch appeals to me, too... mainly because I could put a couple of pretty baskets in the space under the table with clothes or blankets in them.

And, after reading Ed's comment about the closed in feeling of the side bath Scamp model, maybe I would consider their model that is similar to the Casita Spirit Deluxe.

I still think I am leaning more to the Scamp, but I certainly won't rule out a Casita.

I REALLY appreciate everyones' input!

Oh, one more question. The gray water pumps in the Scamp's bathroom really puzzles me. It seems to me like a gravity drain would be so much more trouble-free--and require less battery power when boondocking.

So is worry about the gray water pump a valid concern? Can you easily access the pump in case it needed maintenance? Has anyone ever had a problem with it?
</span></span>
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sharon,

The Scamp16 floor plan that feels so roomy to me is plan 7

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/16Tr...FloorPlans.aspx

Too bad you can't do without a bath because with that floor plan one can have two dedicated beds and a dinette to use without unmaking/making beds.

I agree with Ed about the side dinette feeling more spacious than the side bath. And I too like my "rat fur" wall covering.

When I considered changing trailers the Scamp 16 side dinette did not look confortable for sleeping. I like my front bunk. By the way, my husband 5'10 is comfortable sleeping on the front bunk too. Mine is actually a bit wider than 28 inches at the hip. I think it is closer to 30", my foam may hang over just a bit. The side dinette (for sleeping purposes) would only be about 24" wide and I didn't like that.

If you didn't need a shower could you consider a privacy curtain making the little trailer into 2 rooms at night. When I feel the need for privacy for the potty I just pull my curtain to divide the space. I certainly understand the desire for a bathroom, it is the only thing I miss having.

You mentioned floor rot. You do know about the different floors in the Scamp and Casitas? I think Casita encloses theirs in fiberglass while Scamp does not.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
great replies here. I think i read your post right that you might like twin beds. Attached is a casita setup that way if I understood you right. Anyway, I also like the front dinette side bathroom scamp deluxe. I would think that front window might let in a lot of light. I have not been in that model but just guessing from all the other trailers I have been inside with a front window. IT's funny I have very rarely seen that model. Now if you go with that you can post many photos for us here.

I also had a trailer floor rot out on me. I have always been leary of the casita floor tub design. Any water intrusion and it just sits with the wood floor bath tubed in. OR maybe I have it all pictured in my wind wrong. Take care.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita_Interior_low_res_02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	25135
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I'm a Scamp owner. I've seen a lot of Casitas, having attended a Casita Club rally in northern Colorado. I was amazed at how different the brands can seem inside, though they look so alike from the exterior. Scamps seem taller overall. The roof might measure the same as a Casita's above the center aisle, but Scamp roofs carry more height out to the sides. With its higher central rise, Casitas remind me of the the rows of clerestory windows that graced 19th Century railroad coaches. (hey, that would be a nice look, they should add porthole windows up there, like on an old VW bus.)

So for me, the different roof shapes make Scamps seem roomier. But I'd give back some of those points to Casita for their larger side windows. Scamp skims here, IMO.

I like Scamp's wall coverings better. Maybe I saw too many conversion vans back in the Seventies, but when I see those carpeted walls, I start expecting to see beads and bongs and 8-track tapes of Grand Funk Railroad. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it just seems fundamentally wrong; carpet belongs on the floor. Scamp's rat fur is soft and easy on the eye, and still looks clean & modern 25 years after installation.

Casitas are fine trailers. Every one I saw at the meet shone like a full moon. They're better equipped than most Scamps, and especially mine. But there wasn't a 16-footer among them that wouldn't have required me to get a different tow vehicle. Casitas are heavier, by every reported weight I've seen. That full fiberglass shell underneath doesn't come without a weight penalty. I have to desire to own and feed a truck, so I have little use for a trailer over 2,000 lbs. That was the biggest consideration for me.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #18

Oops, I see I crossposted with a couple of people and didn't answer their questions. Sorry!

H. David, yes, I know about the referrals. I just didn't want to bother anyone until I am actually at the point of buying. It may be another year or so before I am to that point.

WOW! Hearing someone "fluffy" say that the front sofa is big enough to sleep on is GREAT. I'm not exactly skinny!

Also, you reinforced my feeling that the front window really is absolutely essential.

John H., I saw that ad in Pensacola for the Liberty. In fact, we are going home to Florida for Thanksgiving, and if I were in a position to buy right now, I might end up with that one.

About the Aliner, I really do love it... or would have loved it if it hadn't been a lemon from the get-go. I can set it up and take it down myself easily. It tows beautifully, and with the large windows and skylights, the views go on forever. I love having the high ceiling. It makes it seem a lot more spacious than it is. But the quality issues have caused me more grief and heartache--and expense--than I ever thought an RV would be capable of delivering. I had to completely gut it and rebuild it the second year I had it due to extensive floor rot because the waterproof membrane under the floor trapped water in the wood. The frame bent, and I had to have it straightened and reinforced. The sofa bed was 1-1/2" higher at one end than the other, which meant I always felt like I was going to be tipped out of the bed. Eventually I got most of the problems fixed... except the bathroom. I can't ever get it totally leak free, despite heroic tries. I am busy working on it now to get it ready for the trip to Florida Monday. One good thing--I have never had an external leak.

Aliner used to advertise that they had no assembly lines... that each unit was built by one person from start to finish. I used to say that I think mine was built by a guy who came in to work drunk on a Monday with a grudge against his boss.

However, there are MANY Aliner owners who are ecstatic with their units. One woman on the Aliner Club board just bought her THIRD Aliner!

Nancy, that Layout 7 does look incredibly open and spacious... but I do have to have the bath. But I am really happy to hear you say you LIKE your rat fur!!!

Interesting your mentioning the foam on the front sofa hanging over a bit. I had thought of having a mattress made just a tiny bit wider than the sofa or front dinette so it would give me an extra inch for my elbows.

And again, yes, I know about the difference in the Casita and Scamp floors. And I've read a few posts about Casita floors rotting and how difficult it is to repair. My Aliner floor rotted so badly because I couldn't see the problem developing due to the black waterproof membrane covering it. So to me, being able to inspect the floor from underneath and catch any problems as soon as they begin is a big plus for the Scamp to me.

Ken, I have already copied that Liberty Deluxe photo--along with tons of other Scamp and Casita interior photos--into a dream folder on my computer. I have also done a lot of modifications on them in my graphics program!

Quote:
I like Scamp's wall coverings better. Maybe I saw too many conversion vans back in the Seventies, but when I see those carpeted walls, I start expecting to see beads and bongs and 8-track tapes of Grand Funk Railroad. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it just seems fundamentally wrong; carpet belongs on the floor. Scamp's rat fur is soft and easy on the eye, and still looks clean & modern 25 years after installation.
Okay, I laughed out loud at that!!!! And your comment on the rat fur just about cinched my decision for me unless I run into an unbelievable deal on a used Casita!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
Sharon,

The Scamp16 floor plan that feels so roomy to me is plan 7

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/16Tr...FloorPlans.aspx

Too bad you can't do without a bath because with that floor plan one can have two dedicated beds and a dinette to use without unmaking/making beds.

I agree with Ed about the side dinette feeling more spacious than the side bath. And I too like my "rat fur" wall covering.

When I considered changing trailers the Scamp 16 side dinette did not look confortable for sleeping. I like my front bunk. By the way, my husband 5'10 is comfortable sleeping on the front bunk too. Mine is actually a bit wider than 28 inches at the hip. I think it is closer to 30", my foam may hang over just a bit. The side dinette (for sleeping purposes) would only be about 24" wide and I didn't like that.

If you didn't need a shower could you consider a privacy curtain making the little trailer into 2 rooms at night. When I feel the need for privacy for the potty I just pull my curtain to divide the space. I certainly understand the desire for a bathroom, it is the only thing I miss having.

You mentioned floor rot. You do know about the different floors in the Scamp and Casitas? I think Casita encloses theirs in fiberglass while Scamp does not.

Nancy

We sold our 2002 Scamp 16' with side dinette a couple weeks ago. We ordered a new 17' ESCAPE from Escape trailers in B.C. I've compared and the Escape quality an features are superior to Scamp. The people at Escape are good to deal with....more than I can say about Scamp who seem to be just interested in the sale and good bye. I visited there plant in early Aug./09 and they had no time for a current Scamp owner...little did they know I was getting the itch for a new unit. Check out www.escapetrailer.com.

JerryCpei
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #20

Jerry, I know the Escapes are superior in every way. That's what I would buy if money were no object and if they weren't over 3,000 miles away.

But my circumstances dictate that I look at another alternative.

Unless, by some miracle, a used 17B comes available in this area of the country at a price I can afford.

Quote:
We sold our 2002 Scamp 16' with side dinette a couple weeks ago. We ordered a new 17' ESCAPE from Escape trailers in B.C. I've compared and the Escape quality an features are superior to Scamp. The people at Escape are good to deal with....more than I can say about Scamp who seem to be just interested in the sale and good bye. I visited there plant in early Aug./09 and they had no time for a current Scamp owner...little did they know I was getting the itch for a new unit. Check out www.escapetrailer.com.

JerryCpei

Tags
scamp