Question about the door handles - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #1

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Both of my Scamps need to have the door handles replaced, both inside and out. On the 84 the entire mechanism seems to be frozen up. A half of a can of WD40 and it still won't budge- plus it didn't come with a key- on the 78, I replaced it a few years ago but what Scamp had then as compared to what they had in 78 is a little differnet and it just isn't quite right so I want to start over on both. I have bought locking latches that I have on the outside, so keeping it locked and assuring that the door stays closed while in transit is not an issue so here is my question...

Does anyone have a modification to replace the door handles? I was wondering if a standard screen door handle might work? I was looking at them at Home Depot and they seem to work essentially the same as the Scamp door handles, as far as engaging or disenging a part against a strike plate. Even though they don't look the same, I am not too concerned with that.

As much as I would like to just replace them with the handles from Scamp, they are pretty pricey (times 2) like I said above, they are not exactly the same as my originals anyway. Plus I hate to say it but the last order I placed with Scamp has been a headache (they sent the wrong part and I am having a terrible time trying to get them to take it back and send the right one) So this is just in my thought stages...

http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
This is what Donna did for her trailer... might work.
================================
John I replaced the outside door handle on my Scamp a couple of summers ago because of this exact reason. My daughter and I were camping and the wind caught the door and slammed it shut...my daughter was inside the trailer at the time. The lock was badly worn inside the door handle and it turned inside the cylinder and locked her inside. There is no way to unlock the door from the inside when locked from the outside. It effectively locked her in. Fortunately, I was right outside the door (with the keys in my pocket) and was able to unlock the door and let her out. If we'd both been inside the trailer, one of us would have had to go out the top escape hatch.

When we got home, I took the door handle off and went to a locksmith. There's no way to repair/replace the lock the way the handle is made. I could have purchased a new one from Scamp (<$20), but we were going camping almost right away and didn't want to wait for one to be shipped from Scamp. I ended up replacing the door handle (and lock) from one made for a garage door. It's "T" shaped, but the outside plate was an exact match (including screw holes) and is substantially built. The shank was about 6" too long, but a hack saw took care of that. Took about 2 minutes to replace (put a dab of silicone in the screw holes too). Since that time, we've never had a bit of trouble.

But, I ALWAYS travel with the door locked...that in itself seems like a simple solution to keeping the door from coming open if the lock works properly.
============================

Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #3

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Thank you very much for the info! Sounds like a perfect solution!

Jaye
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote