Question about the escape hatch.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Question about the escape hatch..

I looked on scamps page and they sell the complete vent (escape hatch).. I see it comes with a screen.
Is this vent only meant for escape purpose or can it be opened to allow air in as well?
Marje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
yup, it can be opened!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's actually a great vent, abiut 3 times the regular RV vent.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

Illinois
Thank You so much for the replies!! I will be adding that to my order!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd go for an ergress window and a Fantastic Fan rather than the oversized vent. But, that's just me...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd go for an ergress window and a Fantastic Fan rather than the oversized vent. But, that's just me...
Donna, can I ask what an ergress window is?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

It's a window that allows escape during times of critical incidents... like (maybe) fire. It typically has a red handle that when used, either allows the window to hinge open at the top or competely fall out of the opening. Other than that, it slides and closes like a regular slider window. I probably opened my mouth prematurely, does Scamp even have an egress window, I think (???) Casita does...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Donna, can I ask what an ergress window is?
Egress simply means "exit"...
It is said the the great PT Barnum had a traveling curiosity tent which displayed all sorts of strange and interesting things from all over the world. Admission was a dime, and people stood in long lines to gain entry.
Barnum became concerned about how long the people stayed inside,resulting in impatience among the crowds outside.So he constructed a curtain at the back of the tent over the back exit.Above the curtain he placed a large sign which read...
"THIS WAY TO THE GREAT EGRESS!!"
This facilitated crowd progression and solved his problem as hundreds of curiosity seekers found themselves prematurely outside the exhibit!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's a window that allows escape during times of critical incidents... like (maybe) fire. It typically has a red handle that when used, either allows the window to hinge open at the top or competely fall out of the opening. Other than that, it slides and closes like a regular slider window. I probably opened my mouth prematurely, does Scamp even have an egress window, I think (???) Casita does...
Scamp commonly uses an escape hatch in the roof, I insisted on too much stuff on the roof, so they agreed to proceed when I assured them that I was more than capable of kicking the back window out in case of an emergency.
The back window on mine is a slider but has no release handle like some of the larger RVs have, But if you have seen the incredible HULK you can imagine what a person can do when properly provoked by an emergency,And I am convinced that it would take less effort than that.

This is me kicking at the back window in an emergency>> only that is screaming, not laughter!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #10

Registry
AHHH! It was spelled "ergress" and I thought, does she mean "egress"??!! Then I had pictures of RV's with basement egress windows in my mind, so I figured ergress must be a new RV term for me

All of that said, I guess I wasn't aware of what an actual RV egress window was! Interesting. Given the size of our campers, I can't picture a time where hitting the door would ever be any less possible then trying to figure out an exit window. Sadly, esp with the cause of a possible fire likely being in the "middle" of the camper, it wouldn't be a good situation regardless... know of anybody that actually has had to use theirs?

When I replace my back window, I'll kick it out just to see how easy it's done. I'll video it and send you a copy Floyd
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
AHHH! It was spelled "ergress" and I thought, does she mean "egress"??!! Then I had pictures of RV's with basement egress windows in my mind, so I figured ergress must be a new RV term for me

All of that said, I guess I wasn't aware of what an actual RV egress window was! Interesting. Given the size of our campers, I can't picture a time where hitting the door would ever be any less possible then trying to figure out an exit window. Sadly, esp with the cause of a possible fire likely being in the "middle" of the camper, it wouldn't be a good situation regardless... know of anybody that actually has had to use theirs?

When I replace my back window, I'll kick it out just to see how easy it's done. I'll video it and send you a copy Floyd
Careful! While I am curious, I would hate to be a party to any damage which might occur to the fiberlass
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Careful! While I am curious, I would hate to be a party to any damage which might occur to the fiberlass
Oh I'm with you! Given my 'glassing skills, I'd already decided against it
Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #13

Illinois
since the hole was already in place I will use the escape hatch vent and add and wired fan as well.. Too be honest Im feeling a little lazy to be glassing the hole down to size....
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Marge thats what I did - I have the excape hatch and I added a Fantastic fan over the back table/bed. Works great - if you have a light in that postion already you will not need to run any new wires just replace the light with the fan.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, it's called Fat Fingered Typing...
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love having the larg escape hatch in the back over the bed and then the Fantastic fan over head while standing at the stove.

The escape hatch comes in handy for attic access, as a friend calls it. I stand on the bed and lift my solar panel out through the hatch. Don't have to carry a ladder.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape